Maine DMR to Hold Industry Meetings to Develop Proposal for Whale Protection
Augusta - The Maine Department of Marine Resources will hold meetings with Maine's seven Lobster Management Zone Councils during June to facilitate the development of a proposal that meets targets established by the Atlantic Large Whale Take Reduction Team (TRT) for right whale protection.
The TRT has recommended broad measures for Maine that include removing 50 percent of vertical lines from the Gulf of Maine and the use of weak rope in the top of remaining vertical lines.
The measures put forward by the TRT are driven by federal laws designed to protect whales - the Endangered Species Act (ESA) and the Marine Mammal Protection Act (MMPA). DMR Commissioner Patrick Keliher will work with each zone to develop a proposal that meets TRT goals.
All Lobster Zone Council Meetings are scheduled for 6:00 p.m. Meeting dates are:
• Tuesday, June 4: Zone B - Trenton Elementary School (Gym), 51 School Road, Trenton
• Thursday, June 6: Zone C - Reach Performing Arts Center, Deer Isle-Stonington Elementary School, 249 N. Deer Isle Road, Deer Isle
• Monday, June 10: Zone G - Kennebunk High School (Auditorium), 89 Fletcher Street, Kennebunk
• Thursday, June 13: Zone E - Wiscasset Middle High School (Gym), 272 Gardiner Road, Wiscasset
• Tuesday, June 18: Zone A - Washington Academy (Gym), 66 Cutler Road, East Machias
• Thursday, June 20: Zone D - Camden Hills Regional High School (Gym), 25 Keelson Drive, Rockport
• Thursday, June 27: Zone F - Freeport Performing Arts Center, Freeport High School, 30 Holbrook Street, Freeport