Maine Coastal Program Outreach and Education Programs
A crucial part of the Maine Coastal Program's mission is to educate the public about coastal issues and promote good stewardship. We do this through a variety of projects (see below), working with various partners.
- Coastweek: annual celebration of our coastal resources which includes the coastal cleanup
- Coastal Education Sponsorships: small discretionary grants to educational efforts relating to Maine coastal issues and projects which relate to greater ocean literacy
- Deparment of Marine Resources Education Division: The Department of Marine Resources' Education Division provides educational services and materials to school children, teachers, and the general public.
- Friends of Maine Coastal Islands National Wildlife Refuge: organization in Maine committed specifically to conservation and restoration of seabirds and the island habitat on which they depend
- Gulf of Maine Council on the Marine Environment, whose mission is to maintain and enhance environmental quality in the Gulf of Maine to allow for sustainable resource use by existing and future generations.
- Gulf of Maine Marine Education Association
- Midcoast and Penobscot Bay Stewards: educational program promoting citizen stewardship
- New England Ocean Science Education Collaborative: collaborative of educators and scientists to educate the public about oceans and promote Ocean Literacy
- Maine Coastline: newsletter of the Maine Coastal Program