It is that time of year again to renew licenses that expire at the end of the calendar year (December 31, 2020) or to apply for a 2021 license. For license holders in limited entry fisheries (lobster, urchins, scallops, sea cucumbers, elvers), if you intend to retain your license in 2021, you must renew your 2020 license by December 31, 2020.
Please use our online licensing system, LEEDS at https://maine-dmr-leeds-prod.pegacloud.com/, for the fastest processing of your license and/or tag application. If you are obtaining your license online through LEEDS, you MUST print off your license, as we do not print online licenses. If, however, you need us to print you a license, please contact us and we would be happy to do so. For assistance, call the DMR Licensing Division at 207-624-6550, Option 2.
Below are several things that you should be aware of prior to renewing/applying for your licenses or applying for tags.
Online Applications | Paper Applications | Landings Reports | Lobster Tags and Conservation Areas | Halibut Tags | Urchin Licenses | Elver Dealers
Online License Applications (LEEDS): https://maine-dmr-leeds-prod.pegacloud.com/
- Renewing a 2020 license: If you are renewing your 2020 license before January 1, 2021, please select "current year" when completing your application.
- Applying for a 2021 license: If you apply for a 2021 license before January 1, 2021, or renew one that you did not hold in 2020, select "next year" when completing your application. AFTER January 1st, you will only be able to select "current year" when completing your application.
- If you are obtaining your license online through LEEDS, you MUST print off your license, as we do not print online licenses. If, however, you need us to print you a license, please contact the DMR Licensing Division at 207-624-6550, Option 2, and we would be happy to do so.
Paper License Applications
Visit /dmr/fisheries/commercial/licenses and download and print license applications. Applications for 2020 licenses must be post marked on or before December 31, 2020.
Make sure all of your landings reports are up to date, and that you do not owe reports. If you owe reports your license will not be available to renew. Please contact the landings program at 624-6550,Option 1, with regard to any landings reporting issues or concerns.
Commercial Lobster Tags
- Lobster tags take 4 to 6 weeks - please plan accordingly. If you have NOT received your tags within 6 week of ordering them, please contact DMR Licensing Division at (207) 624-6550, Option 2 so we can check on your status. If you wait too long after the 6 week period, we can no longer track them.
- All tags will be shipped to the address on record in LEEDS. We do not ship to other addresses or out of state addresses, so please make arrangements to have your tags picked up at your address on record in LEEDS.
- If you listed a PO Box in LEEDS as your address, you will need to check with the Post Office in the town listed in your address to make sure the tags have been delivered - the Post Office will not contact you when your package has been delivered and will not hold your package indefinitely.
- The number of tags you purchased in 2020 can only increase by 100 in 2021 until you reach your eligibility limit, zone limit or boat limit. If you do not get ANY tags in 2020, you will only be eligible for 100 tags in 2021.
- If you plan on using your 2021 tags prior to June 1st, you must submit an affidavit stating that all your 2020 tags are null and void, as all lobster tags are valid through June 1st. Contact your local Marine Patrol Officer or the DMR Licensing Divsion at 624-6550, option 2 for more information.
- Make sure your tags are ordered correctly. Under the permit section on your license it should say EEZ (federal) or NON. If your license does not show the correct designation, please contact us immediately so that we can make sure we order your tags correctly. Tags are ordered the next day after your license is processed. It is your responsibility to make sure the tags are ordered correctly. If you are renewing your lobster license with the same vessel as last year, and there has been a change on that vessel, your tags will be ordered exactly as they were the year before.
Federal halibut tags will be issued by DMR this year. Please follow these steps to ensure you are obtaining the correct tag type (FEDERAL or NON-FEDERAL). It will be your responsibility to obtain the appropriate tag, as outlined below.
- To be issued federal halibit tag, you must have a current and active federal northeast multi-species permit on the vessel listed on your tag application.
- If your vessel does not have a current or active federal permit - you will be issued non federal tags.
- If you are applying to obtain a northeast multi-species permit, and you will have that permit during the 2021 season, you will need to provide DMR Licensing staff with the documentation showing you have applied to obtain that permit, and YOU MUST contact DMR before your tags are issued.
- Season Changes: Urchin season change requests for Zone 1 or Zone 2 must be done between May 1 and August 15.
- Zone Changes: The total number of authorized change requests for Zone 1 must equal the total authorized requests for Zone 2. Zone change requests will be authorized on a first-come, first-served basis in the order they are received in our office. You will be notified by August 15, 2021 whether your zone change request was approved.
Elver Dealer Licenses
- Elver Dealers MUST obtain their license on or before February 1st. This includes any supplemental licenses.