Maine State Aquarium Job & Volunteer Opportunities
Applications are PDF files and may require Adobe Reader software (download here free) to read or print.
Full-Time Receptionist 2019 — has been filled.
Summer Internships 2019 — Are you looking for valuable experiences, professional connections, and unique hands-on opportunities? Well, look no further – apply for a summer internship at the Maine State Aquarium! The goal of this program is to support the Aquarium’s mission, while providing professional training for individuals enrolled in education and/or marine science degree programs.
- Internships are paid ($11/hr.) but housing, food, and travel stipends are NOT provided.
- Interns must commit to 40 hours/week from May 13-August 24. If you cannot commit to this schedule, then you are encouraged to apply as a volunteer.
- If college credit is desired, interns must secure an advisor and complete the necessary paperwork before the internship begins.
- Job description here (PDF file, 1 page)
- Internship Application – Download the Internship Application (PDF file, 2 pages) and submit with a resume, cover letter, and three references. Email it to: firstname.lastname@example.org, or mail to: Desiree Genthner, Department of Marine Resources, PO Box 8, W. Boothbay Harbor, Maine 04575. You will receive a confirmation email when it has been received.
Volunteering is FUN! Volunteering is EXCITING! Volunteering can be LIFE CHANGING!
As a volunteer, you will help the Aquarium fulfill its mission of instilling a sense of wonder, respect, and stewardship for the ocean and its marine life. You will engage and interact with the Aquarium’s guests and teach them about the Gulf of Maine, its fisheries, ecosystems, and inhabitants. You will also partner with staff in preparing food, collecting specimens, and assisting with programs at our fishing dock, Discovery Center, intertidal zone and more. Make a difference and apply for the 2018 season.
- Adult (18 years & older)
- Junior Docent (14–17 years of age with parental/guardian consent)
- Family Volunteers (parents/grandparents/legal guardians and children 8 years & older — volunteering side-by-side, once a week for up to 4 hours)
Qualifications: All volunteers must be at least 14 years of age, with minors requiring parental consent, and family volunteer members must be at least 8 years of age. Applicants must have good communication and interpersonal skills, strong interest in marine science, desire to learn, positive attitude, and a friendly disposition. Three references are required as part of the application and volunteers will be interviewed prior to acceptance.
Volunteer Time: Memorial Day Weekend through the end of September with a 2–4 hour shift per week minimum and an accumulated total of 36 hours
Training: On Saturday June 23, 2018, a three-hour training session will take place, beginning at 9 AM. Other arrangements can be made if volunteer cannot attend the group training.
Benefits: Volunteer service at the Maine State Aquarium is fun, educational, and gratifying. Volunteers will receive a 10% discount in our gift shop, as well as complimentary admission for immediate family members. A complimentary gift and a certificate of completed hours will be awarded at the end of the season. High school students can apply volunteer hours toward a community service requirement.
How to Apply: Download Volunteer Application (pdf file, 2 pages). Please submit completed volunteer application to: email@example.com; or mail to:Desiree Genthner, Department of Marine Resources, PO Box 8, W. Boothbay Harbor, Maine 04575. You will receive a confirmation email that it has been received.
For more information, applications or questions, please contact Desiree Genthner at (207) 633-9674 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.