Maine Aquaculture Harvest, Lease, and License (LPA) Data
LPAs are one-year licenses that can be renewed at the end of each calendar year.
- Data Table for current LPAs with Links to Maps
- New LPAs Issued Per Year (2007-2020, PDF file, 1 page)
- Active LPAs Per Year (2007-2020, PDF file, 1 page)
- Species Permitted on Active LPAs Per Year (2007-2020, PDF file, 1 page)
"Experimental" (Limited-Purpose) leases are small in size (up to 4 acres), short in duration (up to 3 years), and cannot be renewed unless they are for scientific purposes. "Standard" leases are larger in size (up to 100 acres), longer in duration (up to 20 years), and can be renewed.
To find information for a specific lease, please visit the Map and Lease Inventory (Pending & Current) page.
- Active Leases by Category
- New Leases Issued Per Year
- Active Leases Per Year
- Active Leases Per Year, Total (2009-2020, PDF file 1 page)
- Active Standard Leases Per Year (2009-2020, PDF file, 1 page)
- Active Experimental Leases Per Year (2009-2020, PDF file, 1 page)
- Active Seaweed Only Leases Per Year (2009-2020, PDF file, 1 page)
- Active Shellfish Leases Per Year (2009-2020, PDF file, 1 page)
- Active Finfish Leases Per Year (2009-2020, PDF file, 1 page)
Harvest data include annual aquaculture harvest information by total harvest value and by species
Finfish data were collected monthly between 1992 and 2003 through the Finfish Aquaculture Monitoring Program (FAMP). Data prior to the FAMP was compiled by Laurice Churchill and Tracey Riggens (DMR). Since 2004 harvest totals have been submitted by leaseholders as part of the annual and/or monthly inventory reports required by The Department.
Data on blue mussels and American oysters have been compiled (since 2003) from the required annual reports submitted by lease and licenseholders. All data are self-reported and there is currently no audit mechanism in place. If questionable data are submitted Department staff make every effort to contact leaseholders for clarification. Data for 2003 and 2004 were incomplete due to lack of familiarity with the new reporting requirements.
Limited harvests of other species including cultured Atlantic cod (Gadhus morhua), European oysters (Ostrea edulis), quahogs (Mercenaria mercenaria), green sea urchins (Strongylocentrotus droebachiensis), sea scallops (Placopecten magellanicus), and marine algae are occasionally reported as well. The Department's confidentiality statutes prevent the release of these figures.
- Total Harvest Value
- Finfish - In accordance with DMR's confidentiality statutes, Atlantic salmon production data from 2011 – present cannot be reported at this time.
- Blue Mussels - In accordance with DMR's confidentiality statutes, bottom mussel production cannot be reported separately from rope culture at this time.
- American/Eastern Oysters
- Species harvested from leases and licenses in Maine in 2020 included:
- Atlantic Salmon (S. salar)
- American/Eastern Oyster (C. virginica)
- Blue Mussel (M. edulis)
- European Oyster (O. edulis)
- Northern Quahog (M. mercenaria)
- Sea Scallop (P. magellanicus)
- Hen Clam (S. solidissima)
- Marine Algae
- Strap/Skinny Kelp (S. angustissima)
- Sugar Kelp (S. latissima)
- Winged Kelp (A. esculenta)