Grievance Process Guide for Recipients of Mental Health Services

Where to Get Help Filing a Grievance

The Grievance Process can be confusing, but there is help available. There are advocates who can either represent you or provide you with information. Advocates have experience helping people protect their rights. They understand the Rights of Recipients of Mental Health Services and the Grievance Process.

There are several agencies that provide advocacy services and/or information. These are some of the places you can contact for help.

The Disability Rights Center
24 Stone Street
Augusta, ME 04330-2007
1-800-452-1948 (v/tty) for clients/families (In state only)
1-207-626-2774 (v/tty)
(The Disability Rights Center has advocates at The Riverview Psychiatric Center and the Dorothea Dix Psychiatric Center)

National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI)
1 Bangor St.
Augusta, ME 04330
(207) 622-5767 or 1-800-464-5767

Maine Equal Justice Partners
126 Sewall St.
Augusta ME 04330
(207) 626-7058
1- 866- 626-7059

Dept. of Health and Human Services
Behavioral Health
11 State House Station - 41 Anthony Avenue
Augusta, ME 04333-0011
(207) 287-2595 (Ask to speak to the Grievance Coordinator)
TTY Users: Dial 711 (Maine Relay)

Each of these agencies will either provide you with assistance or information or direct you to an agency that can. Don’t be afraid to ask for help.