Private Non-Medical Institutions (PNMIs)
Please see updated Letter from Commissioner Mayhew with changes in Implementation dates for Children's PNMI Services.
- Materials from November 20, 2012 PNMI Advisory Council Meeting
- Maine DHHS submitted its final IMD report (PDF) to CMS on November 7, and concludes that none of its residential PNMI programs are IMDs. The report summarizes these findings.
"PNMI" stands for Private Non-Medical Institutions. This is a category of residential treatment facilities, and certain services to residents at these facilities are paid for by MaineCare. There are five groups of PNMIs, listed below.
Changes to the reimbursement policies for PNMIs are being considered as budget proposals and as adjustments required by the Federal government.
The Department has formed Stakeholder Groups for the PNMI Appendix groups. The stakeholders' groups were formed in follow up to the public forums held last fall across the state. The Department is exploring with providers and consumers all options related to the restructure of the PNMI model.
This website ensures that everyone has access to the working documents and work products of the Stakeholder Groups. All meeting and study materials, and products of the Stakeholder Groups will be posted here under the corresponding Appendix.
Stakeholder Membership (PDF) has been established and meetings have commenced. As information becomes available for each PNMI group, it will be posted here, so check back often.
- Appendix B
- Appendix C
- Appendix D
- Appendix E
- Appendix F
- Advisory Council
View the answers to questions or comments concerning pages on PNMIs
Message regarding Maine DHHS meeting with CMS
Following a conference call between the leadership of DHHS and CMS, the decision was made to postpone the meeting scheduled with CMS for 5/31/12. At this time the Department does not have the level of detail necessary to support the recommendations for each Appendix in order to meet the expectations of CMS. The Department will continue our work on each of the models, working with each Stakeholder group should further information be needed, and a notice will be posted here when the meeting has been rescheduled.
- CMS Communications
- CMS IMD Analysis Extension Granted (PDF)
- CMS Letter (PDF) - 12/23/2011
- Commissioner's Letter to CMS (PDF) 10/12/2011
- Institutions for Mental Disease (IMD) Timeline letter (PDF)
- Letter to PNMI Providers 12/07/2011 (Word)
- Letter to CMS (PDF) November 18, 2011 In consultation with CMS we have rescinded our original letter dated October 12, 2011. This is in response to our questions regarding whether an emergency shelter can coexist with PNMI beds. We will continue our work with CMS on the PNMI issue.
- Private Non-Medical Institution (PNMI) Services that meet Institution for Mental Disease (IMD) Guidelines Word | CMS Memo (PDF))
- PNMI Reimbursement Changes required for Federal compliance (Word)
- Forms, Worksheets and Fact Sheets