Electronic Visit Verification (EVV)
- Alternative EVV System Information
- Contact Information
- EVV Changes
- E-Message Sign Up
- Frequently Asked Questions
- System Setup
- Other Resources
- Trainings and Videos
- Welcome Kit Instructions
Section 12006 of the 21st Century Cures Act mandates states implement an EVV system for all Personal Care Services (PCS) and Home Health Care Services (HHCS) that require an in-home visit by a provider. An EVV system is used to verify the date, time, and site of a provider visit, as well as services provided to the MaineCare member in the member's home or in a community-based services setting. States must require EVV for PCS providers by January 1, 2020 and for HHCS by January 1, 2023.
For a full list of policies and applicable services impacted, please see the Service Codes document. For a list of provider types and specialities who must use an EVV system, please see the Provider Type and Specialty document. Please note that all providers must begin using EVV by January 1, 2020, with the exception of Home Health providers providing services under Section 40. The effective date for Section 40 services is January 1, 2023; however, Section 40 providers may, at their discretion, choose to implement EVV on January 1, 2020.
The Department is developing an open EVV system which will allow providers to utilize their own EVV system and connect with MIHMS or to use the State's EVV system. The EVV application will be accessible on smart devices (phones and tablets) or through Interactive Voice Response (IVR). For more detail, see the EVV Forum Presentation.
Organizations and individuals enrolled in MIHMS as a Provider Type that requires EVV records will receive a Welcome Kit within 10 days of enrollment. It will be sent to the provider via email using the email address in the provider record from the MIHMS enrollment process. This email account is considered the administrator of the EVV system.
The Welcome Kit consists of three documents:
- Welcome Kit Letter
- Call Reference Guide in English
- Call Reference Guide Multi-Languages
The Call Reference Guide lists your Sandata EVV Agency ID in the upper right corner and begins with “STX.” The Welcome Letter contains your EVV system log-in credentials with your permanent username and a temporary password.
After logging into your Trading Partner account on the Health PAS Online Portal, go to the Account Maintenance drop down menu and choose “EVV Portal.” A new tab will open on your browser that will allow you to enter your EVV account username and password. Once in the EVV system, you will be prompted to create a permanent password.
Note: If you have not received a Welcome Kit within 10 days of enrollment, please contact the Provider Services Call Center at 1-866-690-5585, Option 3; TTY users dial 711.
- Alternate Data Collection Interface Specifications
- Maine Alternate EVV System Integration Process Guide
Training videos on a variety of topics related to EVV including how to use the EVV system and how to integrate a third party system are available. We encourage you to view the training videos through the Learning Management System (LMS) system.
Video Format and Topics
- For providers who are not using a third party EVV system, please see the Electronic Visit Verification (EVV) Training – Part 1 and 2.
- For providers who are using a third party EVV system, please see the Electronic Visit Verification (EVV) Training – Third Party Application.
LMS First Time Users
If you have not registered with the LMS, see the LMS First Time User Guide for assistance. To access the guide, go to the Health PAS Online Portal and log into your Trading Partner Account (TPA). Next, click on the section called "Trading Partner User Training" and you will see the link to the LMS First Time User Guide.
For assistance with registering or any other training related topic, please email the Medicaid Training Center.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
See the EVV FAQs webpage for common questions about EVV.
In order to remain informed about EVV, please subscribe to our e-message service. The e-message service is an automated email messaging tool that we will use as the main communication method for EVV news and project developments. To ensure you receive important updates, please sign up for the MaineCare – Electronic Visit Verification (EVV) e-message service.
Please follow these steps to sign up:
- Enter your email address in the text box and select "Submit."
- Confirm your email address by entering it in the text box.
- Add a password if you wish (optional).
- Select "Submit."
- Click on the blue link at the bottom that says "Add Subscriptions."
- Scroll down to the section for the "Office of MaineCare Services" and check the box for "Electronic Visit Verification (EVV)" topic.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on "Submit."
See the federal Medicaid Electronic Visit Verification (EVV) webpage for more information.
- MaineCare's EVV email box
- Provider Services at 1-866-690-5585, option 3