Medicaid Promoting Interoperability (PI) Program
(formerly known as the Medicaid EHR Incentive Program)
2019 Program Year Applications
- For any providers that bill Medicare Part B and are required to submit data to MIPS (now known as the Medicare Promoting Interoperability (PI) Program) you can continue to participate with the Medicaid PI Program until you have received the maximum six payments or until the final program year of 2021.
- Submission of meaningful use data to the Medicaid PI Program does not fulfill the MIPS (Medicare PI Program) reporting requirements.
- Providers that are returning MU attesters for program year 2019 must submit Stage 3 data.
- All CEHRT products must be 2015 edition to qualify for the 2019 program year. Be sure to check with your vendor on details of your CEHRT upgrade.
- Submit the completed worksheet to: EhrHelpdesk.DHHS@maine.gov. You may submit the 2019 Medicaid Eligibility worksheet any time from now through the deadline date of March 31, 2020.
- Once we receive the 2019 Medicaid Eligibility worksheet we will enter each provider into our system and mark them eligible for the 2019 program year.
- Because the CQM reporting period is the full 2019 calendar year we will not open for submission of MU data until January 2, 2020.
- For any providers that submits the 2019 Medicaid Eligibility worksheet prior to January of 2020 we will send out the 20189 MU wizard email to those providers on January 2, 2020.
- All others will receive the 2019 wizard email after the 2019 Medicaid Eligibility worksheet has been submitted and accepted.
2019 Reporting Periods and Deadline Dates
EHR Reporting Period and requirements for Program Year 2019
- The reporting period for the MU objectives is a 90-day period within CY 2019.
- The reporting period for CQM data is 365 days of data from CY 2019.
- Providers are required to submit a minimum of 6 CQMs. We encourage the submission of all CQM data you have available in your reports.
Deadline dates for the 2019 program year:
- The deadline date for the submission of the 2019 Medicaid Eligibility worksheet is March 31, 2020. No new worksheet submissions will be accepted after March 31, 2020.
- There is a potential that a provider may not be able to receive a payment for the 2019 program year if all requirements are not met by the deadline dates.
- If there are any issues or errors on the worksheet or the MU data there may not be enough time for a re-submission.
- The deadline date for the submission of MU wizard data is April 30, 2020. No new MU submissions will be accepted after April 30, 2020.
2019 Program Year - Stage 3 is Required for All Applicants
Maine will begin accepting the submission of the 2019 program year Medicaid eligibility worksheet on June 1, 2019.
We will open for submission of MU data for the 2019 program year on January 2, 2020.
2019 Program Year Requirements
- 2015 Edition CEHRT is required for Stage 3
- CMS Stage 3 Web Site
- 2019- Stage 3 Table of Contents-PDF
- Stage 3 2019_objective 1 specification sheet-PDF
- Stage 3 2019_objective 2 specification sheet-PDF
- Stage 3 2019_objective 3 specification sheet-PDF
- Stage 3 2019_objective 4 specification sheet-PDF
- Stage 3 2019_objective 5 specification sheet-PDF
- Stage 3 2019_objective 6 specification sheet-PDF
- Stage 3 2019_objective 7 specification sheet-PDF
- Stage 3 2019_objective 8 specification sheet-PDF
- 2019 CQM Table-PDF
2019 Reporting Period
- Objectives will be a 90-day reporting period within calendar year 2019
- CQMs will be 365 day reporing period within calendar year 2019
Tip Sheets and other helpful documents
- Stage 3-Patient-Electronic-Access-Tip Sheet-PDF
- CMS - Stage 3 Security Risk Analysis Tip Sheet-PDF
- Maine -Security Risk Analysis Requirements Tip Sheet-PDF
- Maine - Tips for Completing a Security Risk Analysis-PDF
- Stage 3 Medicaid Eligible Professionals: Public Health and Clinical Data Registry Reporting-PDF
- Stage 3 Health Information Exchange Fact Sheet-PDF
- Health IT Privacy and Security Resource website
- Security Risk Assessment Tool website
- Top 10 Myths of Security Risk Analysis-PDF
Clarification of the Secure Electronic Messaging Objective
There has been some confusion on the requirement for the Secure Electronic Messaging objective. We have summarized some of the requirements and given examples to help clarify the objective requirements. Click the documents below for details.
- Stage 3 Objective 6 Coordination of Care Through Patient Engagement Specification Sheet-PDF (includes Secure Electronic Messaging requirement)
- Numerator action is not restricted to the 90-Day Reporting Period.
Stage 3 has objectives that allow action to occur before, during or after the reporting period of 90 days but within the calendar year of 2019.
- Objective 5 - Patient Electronic Access - (measure 2 only)
- Objective 6 - Coordination of Care through Patient Engagement - (measures 1 & 2)
- Objective 7 - Health Information Exchange (measure 1 only)
- Mandatory for Program Year 2019 - all CEHRTs must be 2015 edition certified.
- Go to the CEHRT site - Certified Health IT Product List site.
- 2019 CHPL Site Guide-PDF
- If you have issues with your CEHRT and feel it is not performing as it should according to the certification criteria go to the site set up by ONC for information on How to log a Complaint About a Health IT Product
- Send your issue to ONC if you have exhausted all other avenues to correct the issue.
Public Health Reporting Requirements
Please see the Public Health Registration page for more information on the Public Health reporting requirements. There will be a link posted after June 1, 2019 to download the 2019 Public Health Wizard and the guide to using the Public Health wizard to register or update an existing registration available on the page.
If you did not update the Public Health Wizard for the 2018 program year, you must remove any previous version of the Public Health Wizard application (lobster icon) on your computer and re-install it by going to the site linked above.
We changed the server the wizard was stored on and you need to download it from the new server.
Public Health Contacts:
- General public health questions: Nancy Birkhimer 287-5716 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Immunization: Danielle.email@example.com
- Syndromic surveillance: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Electronic lab reporting: email@example.com
- Cancer: Nancy Birkhimer 287-5716 firstname.lastname@example.org
Sign up for the CMS Interoperability Program Listserve
Go to the CMS ListServe website to sign up for program updates and resources.
- The Medicare and Medicaid EHR Incentive Programs listserv provides timely, authoritative information about the programs, including registration and attestation updates and details about the payment process. The listserv messages are another CMS resource to provide you with the latest news about the Incentive Programs. On average, two messages are sent per week. This is the most reliable way to receive information directly from CMS to your in-box
CMS News Alerts
Contact: CMS Media Relations
Two proposed rules have been released that have an impact on the Medicaid EHR Incentive Program
- Program name change to "Medicaid Promoting Interoperability Program" - (Medicaid PI Program).
- Beginning with the EHR reporting period in CY 2019, all providers and hospitals will be required to use the 2015 Edition of CEHRT.
- Submission of Stage 3 is required starting with program year 2019.
- Objective reporting period for program years 2019 and 2020 will be a 90-day reporting period.
- CQM reporting period for program years 2019 and 2020 will be a 365-day reporting period.
2021 Program Year - final year of the Medicaid IP Program
- Reporting period will be a 90-day period for both objectives and CQMs.
- The 90-day period can be selected from January 2021-September 30, 2021.
- Deadline for submission for the 2021 program year is September 30, 2021.
- Per CMS regulations all provider payments for the 2021 program year must be completed before 12/31/2021.
Quality Payment Program Resources Available
We are presenting this information on the Medicare Quality Payment Program (QPP) for your information only.
The Maine Medicaid Interoperability Program is not a part of the QPP.
The Quality Payment Program is part of the Medicare Access and CHIP Reauthorization Act of 2015 (MACRA) and includes two tracks - Advanced Alternative Payment Models (APMs) and the Merit-based Incentive Payment System (MIPS) - Now called the Medicare Interoperabilty Program
The Medicare Interoperability Programwill replace three Medicare reporting programs:
EHR Incentive Program (Meaningful Use) (Medicare MU program only, the Medicaid MU program will continue through 2021)
Physician Quality Reporting System
Value-Based Payment Modifier
The Quality Payment Program listserv will provide news and updates on:
New resources and website updates
Upcoming milestones and deadlines
CMS trainings and webinars
For More Information
- The Quality Payment Program Service Center can also be reached at 1-866-288-8292 (TTY 1-877-715- 6222), available Monday through Friday, 8:00 AM-8:00 PM ET or via e-mail at QPP@cms.hhs.gov
- Quality Payment Program website - resources are available to help clinicians successfully participate in the Quality Payment Program.
- CMS encourages clinicians to visit the website to review the following new resources:
- Quality Payment Program Resource Library - This website is a good place for in-depth information on the QPP reporting requirements.
- Go to this site to check your participation status requirements: QPP Participation Status website- QPP Participation Status includes APM participation as well as MIPS participation.
- Individual or Group Participation website - If you are Merit-based Incentive Payment System (MIPS)-eligible, you can choose to participate as an individual, a group, or both.
- How to Make Changes or Updates to Provider Information on the CMS Registration Site-PDF
- Tax liability and the EHR incentive payments - IRS informational_letter1099s
- For questions related to Medical Assistants entering CPOE orders please see the following: Stage II page 20 Final Rule CMA
- Maine EHR Incentive website: https://www.maine.gov/dhhs/oms/HIT/
- Maine EHR Incentive Program e-mail: EhrHelpdesk.DHHS@maine.gov
- Visit the Medicare and Medicaid EHR Incentive Programs website for the latest news and updates on the EHR Incentive Programs.
Maine's Approved State Medicaid Health Plan and Implementation Plan
- E-mail: EhrHelpdesk.DHHS@maine.gov