Maine Child Support: Division of Support Enforcement & Recovery (DSER)

Medical Expense Reimbursement

This is what you should do if you would like the Division to attempt to get you reimbursement from the non-custodial parent for a child or children's medical bills which you have paid, in cases in which the non-custodial parent is required by the child support order to pay the bills or a share of them:

  • Notify the non-custodial parent of the paid bills in writing, enclosing copies of them, and requesting payment or the making of a satisfactory arrangement for payment of the non-custodial parent's share of them within 30 days.
  • If neither payment nor satisfactory arrangement for payment is made within 30 days from date of mailing of the letter to the non-custodial parent, mail a copy of the letter and the paid bills to, Case Review Unit, DSER, 11 State House Station, Augusta, Maine 04333. In your covering letter, please remember to give your case number and the date you mailed the letter to the non-custodial parent. The Case Review Unit will forward this material to the enforcement agent handling your case, and the Division will then take steps to establish an enforceable legal debt against the non-custodial parent for the reimbursement to which you may be entitled.

You can help the Division in its efforts to obtain medical expense reimbursement for you by doing two things: First, always include an itemized calculation of what is owed to you. Second, try to avoid submitting bills to the Division more than once every three months, unless the new un-reimbursed amount is high; and try to avoid holding on to un-reimbursed bills for more than a year before submitting them to the Division. Please note that the Division cannot seek reimbursement for any medical bills that have not been paid by you.