Maine's Child Care Subsidy Program - Info for Parents
What is the Child Care Subsidy Program?
The Child Care Subsidy Program helps eligible families to pay for child care so they can work, go to school or participate in a job training program.
Who is eligible to receive Child Care Subsidy?
|English (Word* | also in PDF*)||Arabic (Word* | also in PDF*)||Kinyarwanda (Word* | also in PDF*)|
|Portuguese (Word* | also in PDF*)||Spanish (Word* | also in PDF*)||Swahili (Word* | also in PDF*)|
|Lingala (Word* | also in PDF*)||
*Children that are US Citizens or a Qualified Alien under 8 U.S. code 1641 are eligible to apply for CCSP
Eligible families must meet the income guidelines (Word)
At least one of the following activities:
- Job Training Program
Who can I choose as my child care provider?
- Licensed child care centers
- Licensed family child care homes
- Adults who provide care in their own homes
- Adults who come to your home to provide care
- Relatives over the age of 18
How do I apply?
There are three ways to apply:
- Print the application:
Child Care Subsidy Application
English ( PDF*) Arabic (Word* | also in PDF*) Kinyarwanda (Word* | also in PDF*) Portuguese (Word* | also in PDF*) Spanish (Word* | also in PDF*) Swahili (Word* | also in PDF*) Lingala (Word* | also in PDF*)
- Call: 1-877-680-5866 or (207) 624-7999 Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.; or
- Visit your local DHHS Office to receive a printed application. To find your local DHHS Office visit: https://www.maine.gov/dhhs/dhhs-addresses or call: 1-877-680-5866 or (207) 624-7999
What you need to know:
- The Child Care Subsidy Program assists eligible families in paying for child care if they work, are enrolled in school, participate in a job training program, or are retired and the legal guardian of a child.
- For more information on eligibility guidelines, please visit the Child Care Subsidy Program webpage: www.maine.gov/dhhs/ocfs/ec/occhs/step.htm
- If you receive other benefits such as SNAP, TANF, or MaineCare, the process for applying for and renewing those benefits through OFI will not change. Please visit www.maine.gov/mymaineconnection for more information.
How much will the Child Care Subsidy Program pay to my child care provider?
You pay your co-payment to your provider and the Child Care Subsidy Program will pay the rest to your provider, up to the Market Rate (effective June 30 2018) for your area.
How do I find a child care provider?
For help with locating child care visit: Child Care Choices or call 1-877-680-5866
What are the rules of the Child Care Subsidy Program?
How is the Child Care Subsidy Program funded?
The Child Care Development Fund (CCDF) is a federal block grant that provides funding for states aimed at improving access to quality child care for high-need children and families.
Who do I contact with questions?
- By phone at 1-877-680-5866 or 207-624-7999
- By email CCSP.DHHS@maine.gov
- By fax 207-287-6308
- Financial Resources Specialist
Choosing Child Care
Choosing child care is one of the most important decisions you will make for your child. A good child care setting can have a long-lasting, positive impact on the development of your child. Maine has many different child care options to meet the various needs of families.
2019 Connecting ECE Conference
Early Childhood Public Policy in Maine Slideshow (PDF)
Child Care Development Fund (CCDF) Maine State Plan
View the FFY 2019-2021 CCDF State Plan (PDF)
Annex: Child Care in Disasters and Emergency Plan
View Child Care in Disasters and Emergency Plan (PDF)
2018 Market Rate Survey Report
View the Market Rate Survey Report (PDF)