Steps to choosing Child Care - Take the Time to Make the Right Choice for Your Family
From a publication of:
Maine Department of Health and Human Services,
Early Childhood Services - Child Care and Head Start
Step Five: Putting it together
- Check references.
- Talk with parents of other children in the program.
- Trust your feelings.
- Make sure you have an agreement with your care giver about services provided, hours, rules, vacation days, cost and payment – for example, if child does not attend.
- When you have found the right program for your child, stay involved, visit often, talk with the care giver and ask your child what the day was like.
- As your child changes and grows, your child care needs may also change.
- Just remember that a license or a certificate as a child care facility only sets minimum standards – it does not guarantee quality.
- Call the Child Care Licensing Unit at 287-5020 to obtain a copy of current regulations.
- Call the Child Care Licensing Unit at 287-5020 to inquire if any complaints have been lodged against the care givers you are considering. This is public information.