A Guide to Adoption Services in Maine
Who are the Children Available for Adoption Through the Department of Health and Human Services?
They are children of all ages (generally not infants) who have experienced trauma and loss. These are children who need families that can provide unconditional love and nurturing too meet all of their physical, mental and emotional needs and/or challenges.
What Adoption Services are Available Through Private Agencies?
Most private agencies provide birthparent counseling and services, home studies for agency and private adoptions, placement of infants and special needs children of all ages from Maine, the United States and many foreign countries, and counseling after adoption. Some agencies also provide educational services, support agencies and search services.
Who May Adopt?
An unmarried individual or a married couple may adopt under Maine law. Adoptive parents are as varied as other parents. The common characteristic is the ability to accept as a member of their family a child not born to them.
Finding an Adoption Agency
Maine has eight licensed full time private adoption child placing agencies and 13 offices of the Department of Health and Human Services. All provide a variety of adoption services and serve all of Maine. Each agency has its own eligibility requirements and procedures and maintains its own file of prospective parents. Some agencies have adoption services for children with only certain characteristics. All of these agencies adhere to ICPC Interstate Placement Requirements.
If you would like to know more about adopting a child, please contact any one of our DHHS District offices, or one of the private agencies listed for further information. DHHS and Agency staff will be happy to discuss their adoption program and services with you.
Licensed Private Adoption Agencies in Maine
AAA Full Circle Adoptions & Family Building Center
225 Commercial St., 3rd Floor Suite 300
Portland, ME 04101
phone: 1-800-452-3678 (1-800-45-ADOPT)
- Free options counseling for expectant parents
- Adoption home studies
- Matching between expectant parents & waiting adoptive parents
- Domestic infant adoption services
- Post-placement supervision
Acadia Adoption Center LLC
111 Lafayette Center
Kennebunk, ME 04043-6863
Fax: (207) 514-9400
- Adoptive Home Study and placement services
- Birth & adoptive parent matching services
- Birth parent adoption planning/counseling services
- Adoptive placement supervision services
Adoption Partners of Maine
P.O. Box 617
Gray, ME 04039
Pregnancy Line: 844-300-5683
- Full domestic infant placing program
- Home study & post placement supervision services
- Expectant parent counseling and/or adoption planning
- Post adoption counseling for all triad members; search & reunion services
- Post adoption services to placed clients of MAPS/Stepping Stones & Saint Andre Home
Ascentria Care Alliance
Toll free: 1-800-286-9889
China Adoptions With Love, Inc.
110 Main St. Suite 1300A
Saco, ME 04072
(207) 284-1400 or 1-800-888-9812
Services limited to Chinese international adoptions
Connection Adoption Services, Inc.
P.O. Box 1553, Auburn, ME 04211
Abigail Davis, President
- Birth parent and adoptive placement
- Matching services
- Adoption Home Studies
- Post placement supervision
Families & Children Together (F.A.C.T.)
Beverly Daniels, Director
304 Hancock St., Suite 2B, Bangor, ME 04401
(207) 941-2347, Fax: 990-3316
- infant, older, transracial & special needs adoptions
- home studies
Good Samaritan Agency
Deborah Giguere, Director, 100 Ridgewood Dr.
Bangor, ME 04401
Toll free: 1-800-249-1811
Phone: (207) 942-7211
- infant, special needs and international adoptions
- home studies and supervision for independent Adoptions.
- birth parent counseling and services
- post adoption counseling, search and information
Maine Children’s Home for Little Wanderers
Sharon Abrams, Director
93 Silver Street, Waterville, ME 04901
Phone: (207) 873-6350
- infant, trans-racial and special needs adoptions
- international placements-networking with outside agencies.
- birth parent counseling and services
- home studies and post-placement supervision for private adoptions.
- post adoption services and search
- Turner Family Counseling Center-services for all Members of the adoption triad and respite.
St. Andre Home, Inc.
Peter Fitzpatrick, Director
283 Elm Street, Biddeford, ME 04005
Phone: (207) 282-3351
- group homes for pregnant teens and mother and baby
- birth parent counseling
- home studies - agency and other adoptions
- post placement services/supervisions
- infant, transracial, special needs adoptions
- international adoptions (networking with outside agencies)
- post adoptive services and research
Woodfords Family Services
PO Box 1768, Portland, ME 04104
Phone: (207) 878-9663
- adoption home studies
Department of Health and Human Services
Central Office: Office of Child & Family Services
2 Anthony Avenue, Augusta, Maine 04333-0011
Phone: (207) 624-7900
TTY: Maine relay 711
Adoption services include home studies and placement of children in the legal custody of the Department. DHHS serves all of Maine through 13 offices. For information about adoption and foster care and becoming a Resource Family, contact the DHHS office nearest you (see listing below). All 800 telephone numbers are for in-state calls only.
|*890 Main St, Suite 208 Sanford, ME 04073||(207) 490-5443 or 1-800-482-0790|
|*396 Griffin Road Bangor, ME 04401||(207) 561-4220 or 1-800-432-7825|
|*151 Jetport Boulevard, South Portland, ME
(Mailing address - 151 Jetport Boulevard, Portland, ME 04102-1946)
|(207) 822-2231 or 1-800-482-7520|
|38 Prescott Dr. Machias, ME 04654||(207) 255-2070 or 1-800-432-7846|
|*208 Graham Street Biddeford, ME 04005||(207) 286-2508 or 1-800-322-1919|
|*17 Eastward Lane Ellsworth, ME 04605||(207) 667-1668 or 1-800-432-7823|
|*200 Main Street Lewiston, ME 04240||(207) 795-4620 or 1-800-482-7517|
|*30 Skyway Drive, Unit 100 Caribou, ME 04736||(207) 493-4140 or 1-800-432-7366|
|*35 Anthony Ave. SHS #11 Augusta, ME 04333||(207) 624-8088 or 1-800-452-1926|
|11 High Street Houlton, ME 04730||(207) 532-5106 or 1-800-432-7338|
|91 Camden St, Suite 103 Rockland, ME 04841||(207) 596-4262 or 1-800-432-7802|
|*139 Market Street, Suite 109, Fort Kent, ME 04743||(207) 834-1000 or 1-800-432-7340|
|*98 North Ave. Skowhegan, ME 04976||(207) 474-4850 or 1-800-452-4602|
Note *Ask to speak with an adoption worker in the office.
Adoptive Family Support Groups
In addition to agencies, adoptive parent, family and adolescent groups have a wealth of information to share and support to give. If you would like to know more, contact the parent group nearest you.
Adoptive and Foster Families of Maine, Inc.
294 Center Street Suite 1
Old Town ME 04468
Phone: (800) 833-9786 or (207) 827-2331
Casey Family Services
75 Washington Ave. Portland ME 04101
(207)772-4110 or 800-559-1115
30 Summer Street, Suite 5, Bangor, ME 04401 or by
Portland- Karen Repasky - 207-772-4110
Lewiston- Christine Fournier - 207-772-4110
Maine Adoption Placement Services>
Phone: (207) 775-4101
100 Brickhill Ave., So. Portland, ME 04106
Maine Families with Children from Asia
c/o Tania Jo Hathaway
Adoption Related Services
Adoptive & Foster Families of Maine, Inc.
294 Center St, Old Town, ME 04468/Bette Hoxie
1-800-833-9786 / 207-827-2331 affm.net
DHHS sponsored statewide adoptive and foster parent support network.
Maine State Adoption Reunion Registry
Division of Vital Records
Department of Health and Human Services
220 Capitol Street
Augusta, ME 04333
For persons born or adopted in Maine: this Registry does not provide search services but does notify parties when both a birth parent or other relative and the person who was adopted or freed for adoption register.
Adoption Search Consultants of Maine (ASCME)
12 Smith Street
So. Portland, ME 04106-2238
ASCME is a group of adoptees, birth parents, and adoptive parents attempting to unite family members separated by adoption. ascme.net