Child Care Background Check
The Office of Child & Family Services (OCFS) has been working to develop the criminal background check process to include fingerprinting that meets federal and state requirements for all child care providers delivering direct care services. This process is scheduled to be released August 30, 2020 for all current and prospective child care providers statewide. This process is at no cost to providers.
Providers are required to request background checks with the use of fingerprinting for themselves and their staff to include: all licensed child care facilities, licensed family child care providers, and Child Care Subsidy Program (CCSP) license-exempt child care providers (excluding CCSP relative child care providers). As required by Federal law (45 C.F.R. § 98.43), all adults (18 years and older) residing in the location where child care services are being provided, any individuals whose activities involve the care or supervision of children or who have unsupervised access to children, and the child care provider him/herself must submit to background checks with the use fingerprinting as described below.
The following registries, repositories, and databases will be checked for each individual for whom a background check is requested, with the mandatory use of fingerprints as described below:
- National Crime Information Center National Sex Offender Registry and Federal Bureau of Investigation fingerprint check (using Next Generation Identification).
- In the State where the individual resides: State child abuse and neglect registry/ database, State Bureau of Identification (SBI) crime repository with fingerprints, and State Sex Offender Registry.
- In each State where the individual has resided at any time during the previous five years: State child abuse and neglect registry/ database, SBI or comparable State agency's crime repository (with or without fingerprints), and State Sex Offender Registry.
Individuals are required to schedule an appointment for fingerprinting. All required individuals must complete the above every five (5) years. Once completed, individuals will receive letters from OCFS stating whether the individual is eligible or ineligible. Individuals will also receive a letter to provide to current or prospective employers.
- Instructions for Fingerprint-based Background Checks for Child Care Providers (PDF)
- To schedule your appointment for Fingerprint-based Background Checks for Child Care Providers https://www.identogo.com/