Medical Facilities Unit
New 5 Star Rating System for Nursing Facilities
On December 15, 2008, CMS released its new rating system, comparing nursing homes in their health survey results, quality measures and staffing. This information enhances the Nursing Home Compare program that has been a way for consumers to access information useful in selecting a facility. The following links will take you to the CMS website where information about the 5 Star Program and the data can be found:
Law Enforcement Sponsored Drug Take Back Program
Important changes in how unused medications are disposed of can be found on this website. You will find: both memos to residential long term care providers about upcoming law enforcement drug take back programs; frequently asked questions; and facility identification and inventory forms for the program
The Federal CDC's newly created webpage , provides all-hazards resources intended for individuals at healthcare facilities tasked with ensuring that their facility is as prepared as possible for an emergency. The healthcare facilities targeted by this page include hospitals, long-term acute and chronic care facilities, outpatient clinics and urgent care facilities, physicians' offices, and pediatric offices and hospitals.
Quality Indicator Survey (QIS)
- QIS Resource Manual
- QIS Electronic Forms and Worksheets
- QIS Brochure
- QIS Training Process (Adobe PDF*)
Long Term Care and Other Residential Facilities
- Pandemic Influenza Planning Checklist
Nursing facilities are licensed by Maine and certified by the federal Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS). They provide 24-hour around-the-clock nursing care and rehabilitation services to individuals admitted because of injury, illness, disease or physical or mental frailty. State and federal law protect residents’ rights and assure residents are treated with dignity and respect.
- Incident Report Form for Nursing Facilities (PDF)
- Never email the completed form.
- To comply with the federal Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) send the completed form by:
- Fax Augusta District Office 287-9307; or
- Postal mail it to the Division of Licensing and Certification, 11 State House Station, 41 Anthony Avenue, Augusta Maine 04333
- Save time. To promote consistency and save your staff some time, providers may want to pre-fill the form with the facility’s name, address, and other information that remains the same and save a copy of your pre-filled incident form for future use.
- Adopted Rules Governing the Maine Registry of Certified Nursing Assistants (CNA Registry) 10-144 CMR Chapter 128
Geriatric Mental Health Curriculum
- Curriculum (Word* 3.17MB)