All In: A Forum on Health Care Coverage and Affordability in Maine
On August 29th, Governor Janet Mills convened health care leaders from Maine and the nation to discuss strategies to improve the affordability and accessibility of coverage for Maine people. Strategies discussed included insurance reforms, Health Insurance Marketplace ideas, Federal waiver options, and addressing underlying health costs.
During the forum, Governor Janet Mills announced that Maine will pursue a State-based Health Insurance Marketplace that improves the state's ability to fund education and outreach while using the federal HealthCare.gov website to enroll consumers in private health insurance under the Affordable Care Act.
A select list of background reading on some of the ideas and strategies that were discussed during the forum.
Insurance Reform Options
- Covered California, "Report on Merging the Small Group and Individual Insurance Markets" (2018)
- State of Maryland, "Analysis of Merging Markets for the State of Maryland"
- Health Affairs Blog, "Final Rule on Health Reimbursement Arrangements Could Shake Up Markets"
- NAIC, "Interstate Health Insurance Sales: Myth vs Reality"
- Health Affairs Blog, "Court Invalidates Rule on Association Health Plan"
- Manatt, "The Landscape of Federal and State Healthcare Buy-in Models: Considerations for Policymakers"
- State Health and Value Strategies, "State Medicaid Buy-Ins: Key Questions to Consider"
- Health Affairs Blog, "Public Option 1.0: Washington State Takes An Important Step Forward"
State Innovation (1332) Waivers, Reinsurance, and Related Strategies
- CMS, "Steps for States Considering a 1332 Waiver"
- KFF, "Tracking Section 1332 State Innovation Waivers"
- KFF, "State Actions to Improve the Affordability of Health Insurance in the Individual Market"
- State Health & Value Strategies, "State Reinsurance Programs and 1332 Waivers: Considerations for States"
- Scott Harrington, "Stabilizing the Individual Health Insurance Markets with Subsidized Reinsurance"
- Urban Institute, "State Efforts to Lower Cost-Sharing Barriers to Health Care for the Privately Insured"
- Commonwealth Fund, "Expanding Enrollment without the Individual Mandate: Options to Bring More People Into the Individual Market"
Health Insurance Marketplace Options
- Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, "Health Reform: Designing a Marketplace"
- Georgetown CHIR, "States Opt to Run their Own Exchanges to Save Money, Reclaim Autonomy"
- NASHP Blog, "'So, You Want to Build a State-based Marketplace? Here's How!' Advice from Marketplace Leaders"
- Jane M. Zhu, Daniel Polsky, Yuehan Zhang "State-Based Marketplaces Outperform Federally-Facilitated Marketplaces"
- Mark Hall, "Health Insurance Markets Perform Better in States That Run Their Own Marketplaces"
- National Academy of State Health Policy, "Standardized Benefit Plans: a Tool for Consumers?"
- RAND, "Prices Paid to Hospitals by Private Health Plans are High Relative to Medicare and Vary Widely"
- The Commonwealth Fund, "Getting to the Root of High Prescription Drug Prices: Drivers and potential solutions"
- FDA Law Blog, "A Roundup of New State Laws to Control Drug Prices"
- Katherine Sapra, Katie Wunderlich, and Howard Haft, "Maryland Total Cost of Care Model: Transforming Health and Health Care"
- ProPublica, "In Montana, a Tough Negotiator Proved Employers Don't Have to Pay So Much for Health Care"