Report a Concern
We welcome the opportunity to learn about care issues or concerns you or your family may have experienced at Dorothea Dix Psychiatric Center.
- If you have a care issue, concern, or suggestion, you may leave a message by calling 1-877-866-6878. Messages are collected daily. Please ensure to leave your name and contact information if you want to be contacted.
- You may also use the web email form to send a confidential message. Your communication will be held in the strictest of confidence. If you would like us to contact you, please fill in the fields on the top of the form (name, phone number, e-mail address) and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
- To file a letter of concern, please send it to:
Director of Quality
Dorothea Dix Psychiatric Center
PO Box 926
Bangor, Maine 04402-0926
The most effective way to have your concerns addressed is to include such details as:
- the date of service;
- staff involved;
- the nature of your complaint;
- and what we can do to address your concerns.
Current Patients – Filing a Complaint or Grievance
Current patients who wish to file a complaint may request a Complaint Form from staff. After you complete the form, staff will meet with you regarding your complaint and attempt to resolve the issue. If you wish to skip the complaint process or do not agree with the resolution of the complaint, you may choose to file a grievance using the Grievance Form, which is also available from staff. Grievances will be responded to within 5 working days from the date the grievance was filed. The response will include the hospital’s decision, the steps taken to investigate the grievance, the results of the grievance process, and the date of completion. Appeals to grievances must be filed by the patient within 10 working days.
Report Concerns About Patient Safety and Quality of Care to The Joint Commission
Patient safety and quality of care concerns can be reported to The Joint Commission (TJC) by any of the following methods:
- Online: At www.jointcommission.org using the “Report a Patient Safety Event” link in the Action Center on the right side of the page
- Fax: 630-792-5636
- Mail: Office of Quality and Patient Safety, The Joint Commission, One Renaissance Boulevard, Oakbrook Terrace, IL 60181
Reports to TJC must include the health care organization’s name, street address, city, and state. In the course of evaluating a report, TJC may share the information with the organization that is the subject of the report. Joint Commission policy forbids accredited organizations from taking retaliatory action against employees for having reported concerns to The Joint Commission.
Reports can be submitted to The Joint Commission anonymously. As an alternative, you can confidentially provide your name and contact information, which enables TJC to contact you for more information, if necessary, and to confirm how the report is ultimately handled.
If you are a Medicare beneficiary and want to file a complaint regarding quality of care, disagree with a coverage decision or wish to appeal a premature discharge, you may contact Livanta-Beneficiary and Family Centered Quality Improvement Organization (QIO) by any of the following methods:
- Phone (toll-free): 1-866-868-2289
- TTY: 1-866-868-2289
- Fax for appeals: 1-855-236-2423