Safer Chemicals - Reporting Forms and Requirements

See specific rule chapters for more detailed information and requirements.

If you are a consultant, lab, or other business entity submitting reports on behalf of a manufacturer, please list the name of the manufacturer in the email subject line.
The Contact Person listed on the reporting form must be an individual who is capable of paying the fee invoice on behalf of the reporting manufacturer, preferably located within the United States. Contact information must include a full name and current email address. To ensure efficient processing, it is important that the contact person listed is aware of the report submitted and has the expectation that a fee invoice will be issued to them prior to a report being submitted.

Current Requirements

Manufacturers selling certain categories of children's products in Maine containing any of Maine’s priority chemicals, in an amount greater than de minimis, and who have not already reported to the Department, must do so within 30 days of the product’s availability in Maine.

Forms are provided in Microsoft Excel format and include two tabbed worksheets of information: one provides basic instructions, the other is the fillable form. Please download, complete, and submit electronically to the Safer Chemicals Program at

Arsenic (Excel format)

Cadmium (Excel format)

Formaldehyde (Excel format)

Mercury (Excel format)

Phthalates (Excel format)

Reporting Guidance for BPA, NP, NPE Rule 882/883 guidance (pdf format)

Intentionally added amounts of decabromodiphenyl ether (deca BDE) and/or hexabromocyclododecane (HBCD), which are used in the non-polymeric, additive form.

deca BDE report form (Excel form)

HBCD report form (Excel form)

Product categories to be reported include the following:

  • Child Care Article
  • Children’s Sleepwear
  • Children’s Toy
  • Children’s Clothing
  • Children’s Footwear
  • Electronic Device
  • Household Furniture and Furnishings
  • Mattress
  • Mattress Pad

► Affected manufacturers are required to pay a fee to the Department. See Fee Structure and Chapter 881 for more detail.

For clarification and guidance please contact Kerri Malinowski at (207) 215-1894.