City of Saco
The City of Saco, located on Maine's south coast gateway, is known for its quintessential downtown and small city character. Traditionally a mill city, Saco was a leader of textile manufacturing in the industrial age. Today, Saco is valued for its proximate location, variety of affordable sites for business growth, and decidedly pro-business attitude. Residents enjoy beautiful coastal beaches, a highly ranked school system with international reach, and a convenient commuting distance with access to Amtrak to locations throughout the northeast— under two hours to Boston and within 20 minutes to Portland. A Main Street Maine Community, Saco is proud of its vibrant Downtown District, promoted through a number of annual festivals and community events. Attractive lease rates are available on Main Street and throughout the City. Second and third-story offices in the Downtown are an ideal option for a wide-range of uses. Saco's Mill Brook Business Park is an exciting option for new and expanding businesses, with easy access to Route One and I-95. Saco's business park lots range from 2 to 10 acres and larger, and protective covenants assure high aesthetic quality of development. Saco’s professional development team assists with property searches, incentives, permitting and other requirements to help grow business in Saco. We look forward to working with you.
Saco Business Climate at a Glance...
- Significant investments in downtown redevelopment efforts and infrastructure
- First City in Maine to utilize tax increment financing (TIFs) with long tradition of predeveloping business parks, and incentivizing development.
- Nine active TIF Districts comprise approximately 1,300 acres
- Streamlined permitting process/timeline
- New business park being developed
- Exploring establishment of a transit-oriented TIF district along Route 1
- Expanded financing at Biddeford Saco Economic Development Corporation