Town of Fort Kent
The Town of Fort Kent is located at the beginning of U. S. Rt. 1 - America’s 1st Mile - and is known as “The Little Town That Could”. The strength of community is a way of life and our ability to come to the aid of individuals in need is simply remarkable and we have done it time and time again. Our work ethic is second to none and in it of itself draws business opportunity.
We provide quality of life amenities, services, and recreational opportunities to businesses and residents alike for a complete community experience. Fort Kent is located on the Canada border and our culture is rich in French-Acadian Heritage. Our town is a service hub for many surrounding towns and central to the activities associated with being located on both the St. John and Fish Rivers. The University of Maine at Fort Kent has excellent programs to develop individuals for the business world.
Fort Kent’s downtown business district is undergoing a major revitalization including business façade improvements. The municipality has a tremendous amount of experience with local and federal incentive programs for business expansion and development. We pride ourselves on being business-friendly and focused on economic development. Please visit www.fortkent.org for more information and see what the Greater Fort Kent Region has to offer.
Fort Kent at a glance....
- Approved Bike & Pedestrian trail plan
- Certified “Business-Friendly “ by the State of Maine
- Merger of Downtown and America’s 1st Mile Committees
- Awarded $340,000 in CDBG funds for water line extension and façade improvements
- Completing Downtown Revitalization Plan as part of Downtown TIF Application
Name: Donald Guimond, Town Manager
Phone: (207) 834-3090
Name: Steve Pelletier, Planning and Economic Development Director
Phone (207) 834-3507
Highlights from the review team:
- Active Town Citizen Committee and business development staff dedicated to economic development
- Positive utilization of local, state and federal programs in support of community and business projects
- Good examples of collaboration; specifically with UMFK
- Licensing and Permitting process clear, affordable and efficient
- Letters of support provided positive examples of the community being “business-friendly”
Community Website: www.fortkent.org