Environmental Steward Positions
900-Hour Environmental Steward Positions
Special Application Period
Apply now to serve at the following sites from no later than mid-July to mid-December:
- Midcoast Conservancy
- Sebago Lake State Park
Open until filled. Apply Today.
See Host Site Details below for site specific information
900-Hour Environmental Steward General Position Details
Application: Apply Now - Open until filled.
The Maine Conservation Corps, an AmeriCorps program, is accepting applications for 900-hour AmeriCorps Environmental Steward positions located throughout Maine for 2019. MCC is dedicated to accomplishing outdoor recreation and conservation projects for the public, promoting and managing volunteer opportunities, providing conservation education, building self-esteem and leadership, strengthening the future employability of members, while raising the aspirations of members and volunteers.
Environmental Stewards serve a 900-hour term of service and undergo orientation with MCC before being paired with a Host Site for the remainder of their term.
The current available Host Sites for 900 hour positions in the 2019 season include: Midcoast Conservancy and Sebago Lake State Park.
MCC's Environmental Stewards assist agencies with a wide variety of projects including water quality testing, wildlife protection, interpretive programming, trail improvements, volunteer recruitment, outreach, land stewardship and much more.
- Participate in MCC and AmeriCorps orientations, trainings, events and conferences
- Assist with pre-approved and allowable fundraising activities
- Complete an initial and final assessment of the Essential Volunteer Management Practices
- Implement the Essential Volunteer Management Practices
- Promote volunteer opportunities
- Recruit volunteers
- Conduct volunteer events
- Complete Work Ready assignments
- Participate in a Site Visit
- Complete quarterly reporting and time sheets
- Complete a member portfolio
- Check email weekly
- Participate in mid-term and end of term evaluations
- Complete site specific tasks as described in the recruitment blurbs and individual position descriptions
- Communicating over the phone, via email, in person and in writing with a wide range of people
- Ability to collaborate with volunteers
- Ability to learn new computer applications as necessary
- Collaborating with members of the organization, volunteers, and partners
- Recruiting, retaining and collaborating with volunteers
- Demonstrates good judgement and professionalism
- Demonstrates self-motivation
- Ability to serve both independently and as part of a team
- Ability to juggle multiple projects at once
- Ability to manage time effectively and produce quality results
- Reliable and adaptable
- Complete site specific knowledge skills and abilities are described in the recruitment blurbs and individual position descriptions
- Dependent on Host Site
- Vary by site; refer to Host Site Details below
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Must be a US Citizen
- Must agree to criminal and sex offender background checks
- All positions at State sites require a valid driver's license with a good 5 year driving record
- Passion for community service and the environment
- Commitment to complete the full term of service
- Environmental Stewards will receive a total living allowance of $8,050 (before taxes), distributed weekly over 23 weeks. Other benefits include a wide range of training and networking opportunities, a Maine State Park Pass and an education award of $2,960. Some Stewards may also be eligible for student loan deferment and childcare reimbursement. A small number of Host Sites also offer housing as part of their position.
Orientation on mandatory AmeriCorps topics, such as the handbook, elevator speeches and National Incident Management Systems (NIMS) as well as trainings focused on general skills members will need at their host sites.
WorkReady Credentialing Curriculum, such as Resume Writing, Job Search components, appropriate Workplace Behaviors and Interview Skills will be taught throughout the term of service.
- 40-hour week, typically Monday-Friday, with occasional weekends and overnights, depending on Host Site Preferences.
To Apply: Submit an application, resume and cover letter ASAP. THESE POSITIONS WILL ONLY REMAIN OPEN UNTIL FILLED.
Unemployed, underemployed, minorities and veterans are encouraged to apply.
The Maine Conservation Corps provides equal opportunity in employment and programs. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions. Accommodation arrangements may be requested by contacting MCC staff.
Host Site Details
For information on the application process contact:
Maine Conservation Corps
124 State House Station
Augusta, ME 04333
(207) 624-6085 or