DACF Home → Bureaus & Programs → Bureau of Agriculture → Agricultural Resource Development Division → Market Promotion and Special Events Program → Eastern States Exposition (The Big E!)
State of Maine Building at Eastern States Expo
Visit us at the Maine Building from September 15 to October 1, 2023.
Maine Day at the Big E is Saturday, September 16, 2023.
The Big E is an annual event that begins on the second Friday after Labor Day and runs for 17 days each September.
For Maine Building Participants
- Applications - To exhibit, present and represent Maine!
- Exhibitor Resources - Vendor Services, FAQs
- Exhibitor Roster - Award announcement and directory
- Important Dates - Event schedules and deadlines
Big E Fair Parade Application: Parade selection is at the sole discretion of The Big E Fair's Parade Officials. Those interested in participating and applying in 2023 should read the parade application letter (PDF), which provides links and more information. Questions? Email email@example.com.
Interested in being a part of this great event? Exhibit with us!
Please subscribe to our newsletter and bookmark this page to receive updates.
Considering applying? Please read the following information:
- Demographics and visitor stats (PDF)
- Past Big E fair gate attendance
- Peruse Exhibitor Resources to understand expectations and preparation needs
- Applicant FAQs and selection priorities (PDF)
Videos and Webinars
Most webinars are hosted in Microsoft Teams. The webinars are designed for watching live from a computer or mobile device with internet access or viewing on-demand later. New to Teams? Watch a video about what to expect.
Questions are welcome. Read how to submit questions – you can open the webinar links to submit advance questions or wait until the event starts.
- New and returning applicants: Watch a step-by-step guide for completing the online application, locating important information, and Q and A with Building Management about the 2023 application.
- Tuesday, January 31, 2023, at 1 PM Watch the Webinar Recording
- Anyone who sells and/or samples food and beverages: Learn about local Health Dept. Requirements, how to apply for temporary food permits, required training, and food code updates
- Thursday, February 9, at 10 AM Watch the Webinar Recording
2023 Exhibitor Application (Please read important dates*)
2023 Maine Day Talent, Ambassador Interest form
About the Venue
DACF owns the Maine Building which is managed by the Agricultural Resources team.
- Only items which are produced, grown, crafted, manufactured or significantly altered in Maine may be sold in the Maine building.
- Any interested Exhibitor (including businesses, collectives, co-ops, and associations) must submit a completed application for consideration.
- If awarded space, applicants join a team of exhibitors working to showcase products, brands and services, and the best of Maine to building visitors and shoppers from across New England, parts of New York and elsewhere.
- Maine businesses and organizations have an opportunity to rent space to sell products, or market brands and services in the State of Maine Building during the Big E!. The Maine Building attracts thousands of daily visitors during the 17-day event.
Other exhibition opportunities during the fair:
- We are excited to provide opportunities to showcase the best of Maine to Big E fairgoers.
- Letter to Applicants Announcing 2023 Awardees (PDF)
- Directory - Update your information - Coming Soon!
Exhibitor Resources Library
Click the plus sign next to the section to expand the full list of resources. Applicants and Exhibitors should read these items.
FAQs, Checklists, Timelines, Directions, Maps - All Exhibitors +
Key dates, meetings, load in/out info
- Exhibitor Planning Timelines (PDF)
- 2023 List of Anticipated Meetings and Orientation Dates (PDF) - Save for reference. Exhibitors receive invitation(s) separately.
Maps and getting to the fair
- Grounds Map (PDF) - For Maine Building Exhibitor reference
- Directions - Note: traffic patterns may change due to the fair. Follow local, real-time instructions.
- General Info - Ticketing, activity schedules and fair FAQs.
- Employee Satellite Parking Maps (PDF) – Shuttle runs daily, 6AM to midnight, between satellite lots and Big E transportation center. Employees must display current year ID badge to board shuttle.
FAQs, booth design, packing
- Exhibitor FAQs - Email additional inquiries to Building Management.
- Booth Design Ideas (PDF) - Ideas to help design your Exhibit booth
- Exhibitor Packing Guide (PDF) / Spreadsheet (XLS) - Reminders and tips with space to add your own needs.
- Big E – Photo ID Badge Schedule – To be announced. Those who receive a voucher from Building Management will need to present the voucher and Photo ID to obtain the gate admission badge.
- Download Big E logo (EPS) – Please send questions regarding the use of the fair logo to fair staff: MCoburn@TheBigE.com or call (413)205-5043
Exhibitor Agreement and Payment Info - All Exhibitors+
Exhibitor agreement and online profile
- 2023 Maine Building Agreement Terms & Conditions (PDF) – Exhibitors must agree to the terms if awarded space. Download the PDF version to save a personal copy.
- How to Sign Agreement and Update Profile (PDF) – Instructions for using ExpoFP
- Access State of Maine Vendor Self Service Portal – To register your Vendor account. See instructions
- State of Maine Vendor Form (PDF) – Download form, email Building Management to request a secure email to submit completed form.
Fees, invoicing, payments
- Maine Building Estimated Rental Fees - 2023 (PDF) - For reference. Exhibitor total varies; refer to invoice.
- About Exhibitor Invoicing Process (PDF) – Reference document
Forms - Amenities and Services - All Exhibitors +
- Temporary Storage and Delivery Request Form (PDF) - Print and complete to request temporary storage space and/or delivery driver access. Form and payment due August 1to: ESE C/O Derryl (Storage/Delivery Request) 1305 Memorial Ave. West Springfield, MA 01089
- Internet at the Big E! - Place your order online.
- Telephone at The Big E (PDF) - Place your phone/DSL line order
- Accommodations: This is a popular event; select and reserve early. Accommodation payment is the Exhibitor's responsibility.
- There are many lodging options in Western Mass.
- Military retirees or Active Guard and Reserve members can get inexpensive lodging at The Flyers Inn on Westover Air Reserve Base in nearby Chicopee. The telephone number is (413) 593-5421.
- On-site camping is limited; and not available to Exhibitors.
- If you are awarded space in the Maine Building, email Maine Building Management to request room block info. Rooms are available first-come, first-served.
Forms and Requirements - Food and Beverage Exhibitors +
- Temporary Food Permit Application (Online Portal) – Required temporary Food Permit Application to sell or sample food – Due 30 days before fair. Must submit and pay according to the fee schedule.
- Email application and questions to Jeanne Galloway Town of W. Springfield Health Dept.
- Health Department Requirements (PDF) - All food vendors must comply with requirements. Town of W. Springfield Health Dept. document summarizes key points to comply with Massachusetts regulation, 105 CMR 590.011(C)(3)(a) and the 2013 food code while vending at the fair.
- Food Allergen Awareness Training and Regulation Certification - At least one staff must complete the training, and obtain certificate from a Mass. Dept. of Public Health-approved vendor.
- ServSafe Certification - At least one person must complete the manager training and exam for certificate.
- Propane Cylinder Requirements (PDF) - Permit application required by W. Springfield Fire Department
- W. Springfield Fire Department Food Service Fire Safety Inspection (PDF) – Template of sample inspection standards evaluated by W. Springfield Fire Dept
- Food Trucks Safety Documents - Provided by W. Springfield Fire Department:
- Alcoholic Beverage Temporary License Info – Provided by the W. Springfield License Commission
- Before applying: Exhibitors must have been awarded space by Building Management. Further, there is a fee/day rate for a pouring license. Each applicant completes their own application, supporting application materials. (By 6/1)
- Application Materials: State Building Temporary Wine and Malt Application (PDF) – plus include Bar Code/TIPS certification (or equivalent) for each person serving alcohol, and insurance certificate showing general liability, liquor liability, and workers compensation. Email the completed application and materials to the licensing clerk and cc Building Management before 6/1.
Fire Safety Requirements - All Exhibitors +
Required by W. Springfield Fire Department
Important Dates! Annual Schedule and Deadlines
|January - March||
*Applicants who apply by deadline earn bonus points. Those who are not initially selected, or apply after deadline, may be eligible for a waitlist if they meet selection criteria.
|April - June||
Please email Maine Building Management to receive more information!