Agricultural Trades Show Highlights Growing Maine Agriculture!
January 9, 2019
For more information contact: Anne Trenholm at (207) 287-7620
The 3-day event is free and open to the public
AUGUSTA - The 78th Annual Maine Agricultural Trades Show will be held Tuesday, January 15, through Thursday, January 17, 2019, at the Augusta Civic Center. Hosted by the Maine Department of Agriculture, Conservation and Forestry (DACF), the show highlights Maine agriculture and the people involved. Admission is free and open to the public. "Maine's 8,200 farm operations are diverse and valuable, and an important part of Maine's economy. They provide quality foods, thousands of jobs and millions of dollars in farm receipts, not including direct sales at farms or farmers markets, or the economic impact of businesses who support farms. This event is a place to network and plan for the future of Maine agriculture," says show organizer, Anne Trenholm.
Something for Everyone:
There are 110 exhibits featuring agricultural products, equipment and services. One of the state's largest agricultural exhibitions, the annual event is expected to draw nearly 3,000 attendees over the course of three days.
"There are nearly 120 scheduled workshops, presentations and meetings. Approximately one-third of those activities provide continuing education certifications for farmers and people who work in agriculture. Of the hundred-plus meetings, approximately 15 are annual meetings of agricultural organizations, and all of them focus on growing Maine agriculture," says Trenholm.
This year's show features several new offerings for attendees in addition to a wide variety of presentations covering diverse topics of interest. New 2019 program highlights include the resource room, a place for producers to meet Bureau of Agriculture staff to learn about programs and resources. There will be a live broadcast of MPBN's Maine Calling at the show on Tuesday, January 15, and the demonstration stage schedule features resources to help attendees navigate the show, and learn techniques to select, prepare and enjoy Maine ingredients all year long.
This three-day event has something for everyone, the farmer, non-farmer, hobbyist, educator, supplier or food enthusiast. Attendees can walk through, observe and learn about how food is harvested and processed. Food and farm product enthusiasts can discover Maine food recipes at the demonstration stage, and shop for Maine farm-produced foods and goods. Farmers and producers can see the most up-to-date farm equipment and processing methods and equipment, and learn latest developments in Maine agriculture.
Topics of Interest to the Press
- Live Broadcast of MPBN Maine Calling Tuesday, January 15 at 1:00 p.m.
- One-on-One Business Planning and Advising by SCORE Maine
- Maine Vegetable and Small Fruit Growers Assoc. (MVSFGA) adds day of programming --New for 2019: Both Tuesday and Wednesday
- get real. get Maine! Products Showcase: Wednesday Jan. 17, 5-7:00 p.m.
- Maine Grocers and Food Producers Meet and Greet Event: Networking for Maine food businesses
- Demonstration Stage --daily how-to: guide to show, recipes and fiber production
- Resource Room: Farmers and Producers Learn about Department Programs
- Strawberry School: Offered by University of Maine Cooperative Extension
- Ag-Leadership Development: Offered by University of Maine Cooperative Extension
Trades Show Floor Hours
- Tuesday, January 15, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, January 16, 9:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
- Thursday, January 17, 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
The complete schedule and event news are available at: maine.gov/dacf/agtradesshow.
For more information about the Maine Department of Agriculture, Conservation and Forestry, go to: http://www.maine.gov/dacf