Skip Maine state header navigation

Agencies | Online Services | Help
Maine Civil War Monuments


Town/County:  Gray/Cumberland  
Location: Routes 4 and 26  
Type:  Soldier Materials: North Jay, Quincy Granite
Date Erected: 1911 Date Dedicated: June 20, 1911
Maker/Sculptor: Albert E. Como of Auburn Source of Funding: $1,972.25 from the George F. Shepley Woman's Relief Corps No. 39 and the Town of Gray
Altered or Moved:  Originally located between Old and New Portland Roads
Principal inscriptions: To Perpetuate/The Heroism/and/The Sacrifice/of the Struggle/1861-1865/1911
References: Lewiston Evening Journal, June 20, 1911; Daily Eastern Argus, June 21, 1911; The Narragansett Sun, July 6, 1911; George T. Hill, History, Records, and Recollections of Gray, Maine, pp. 230-232.
Click on these photos for larger images

Current view


Post card, c.1911