Open Farm Day
Maine's Open Farm Day is a statewide event, started by Maine farmers and supporters in 1989. For more than 30 years, this premier agritourism event has been a way to raise awareness about farms and their importance to Maine. It is an opportunity to connect visitors to Maine farms so they may learn and see firsthand the care and effort to produce quality Maine farm products and ingredients year-round. Each site is different and offers visitors a chance to meet farmers and learn more about the role of farms across Maine.
Open Farm Day Dates - The fourth Sunday in July!
2023 Date: July 23, 2023
2024 Date: July 28, 2024
2025 Date: July 27, 2025
On this Page:
- For Visitors
- About Maine's Open Farm Day - Find Participating Farms
- For Farms
Save the date! July 23, 2023 is Open Farm Day.
We celebrate Maine agriculture year-round, and Open Farm Day is an extra special day to visit a farm and discover more ways to enjoy farm products year-round! Maine's Open Farm Day allows visitors to explore host farms throughout the state on the fourth Sunday in July, rain or shine. Please visit RealMaine.com to learn more about this special invitation to see Maine agriculture where it happens, get tips for a good visit, and find a list of participating farms.
For Host Farms
Sign up annually by May 1 to take full advantage of all the pre-event planning and promotional opportunities.
Farms that sign up after May 1 are still eligible to participate. However, they will be limited to the online listing only. Late sign-ups miss inclusion in the printed publication distributed across the state, the digital event itinerary and interactive map, and activity listing.
Open Farm Day happens the fourth Sunday in July. There is no fee for farms to sign up, but you must sign up via the Real Maine website and become a Real Maine member (if not already a member, membership is free).
The sign-up steps differ for those who currently have a Real Maine membership account, and those who do not.
Not sure if you have an account? Take a look - search for your farm on RealMaine.com
You can update your profile when you log into the Member Portal.
- After login: Click the profile update link
- Click edit my profile button
- A menu screen appears
- Select Farm and Business Features
- Scroll to EVENTS (use the image at the right, for example)
- A blue box with a white check mark means you opt-in to the event
- Review the other menu areas (e.g., General Information, Online Listing Social Media). Refresh (add, remove, edit) information if needed.
- Save and submit! **
- Avoid a duplication - Double check to see if you're already listed on RealMaine.com
- Join Real Maine and sign up for Open Farm Day
- Add all the required information
- Submit your information
- You will receive a membership confirmation and approval (typically within one to three business days)
- After your membership approval, you may log into the Member Portal to make additional updates**
Planning Tips and Templates
Farmer-sourced Open Farm Day Ideas
Signs - Promotional, Directional and Safety
- QR Code Visitor Survey Sign, Print-ready, 8.5 x 11 (PDF) – Invite your visitors to use their mobile device QR codes to provide feedback when they visit your farm as part of Open Farm Day. Organizers share the summary of responses with host farms.
- Directional Signs, Print-ready, 8.5 x 11 (PDF) – A set of 13 signs to help farmers direct and instruct farm visitors.
- Agritourism Sign, Print-ready, 24 x 30-inch (PDF) – Includes required language from Maine's agritourism liability statute. May be used as an option to professionally print signs for agritourism activities.
- Food safety, Zoonotic Disease, Handwashing Signs – Includes pre-made signs to help you share important messages about farm, animal, and people's health. (To order or download for printing.)
Risk Management - Insurance, Safety, and Maine's Liability Statute
- Liability in Maine Agritourism Statute - Review the State of Maine statute about agritourism liability.
- Farm Safety Check: Agritourism - Planning information and safety checklists.
- Extension Training for Agritourism Development - Video modules and supplemental planning material.
- Maine Bureau of Insurance, Consumer Guide to Insuring Your Farm (PDF) –This covers the basics of property and liability coverage.
|January - May|
|May - July||
|Fourth Sunday in July||Open Farm Day!|
Interested farm participants should email ACFOpenFarmDay@maine.gov or call (207) 287-7620 with questions.