Board Members & Minutes > November 17, 2011
Board Meeting Minutes: November 17, 2011
November 22, 2011
Members Present: Board members present were: Donald A. Grant, P.E., Chair; Mandy Holway Olver, P.E. Vice Chair; George W. Ames, P.E; Kenneth L. Sweeney, P.E.; Clifton W. Greim,P.E.; Lawrence E. Bartlett, P.E. Also present were: Judith Peters, Assistant Attorney General, and Warren T. Foster, P.E., Executive Director. In addition, there were two members of the public who attended during the Complaint discussion.
Call to Order: The meeting was called to order at 9:01 a.m. by Chair Grant.
- Minutes of previous meeting and other preliminaries:
- Approval of the previous meeting minutes on August 18, 2011, Revised September 6, 2011.
There were no corrections or additions to the August 18, 2011’ Revised September 6, 2011 meeting minutes. On a motion by Mr. Sweeney, seconded by Mr. Greim, the Board voted (6 in favor, 0 opposed) to approve the minutes.
- Executive Committee: (Grant)
- NCEES 90th Annual Meeting, August 24-27, 2011.
Mr. Ames and Mr. Bartlett discussed highlights of the Annual Meeting from a report submitted prior to this Board meeting.
- Engineer Week 2012.
On a motion by Mr. Sweeney, seconded by Mr. Ames, the Board voted (6 in favor, 0 opposed) to support MEPC Engineers Week in the amount of $2500 and to authorize Mr. Foster to spend up to $500 for supplies for the 2012 Expo to be held at the University of Maine on March 3, 2012.
- 2012 Northeast Zone Interim Meeting.
On a motion by Mr. Ames, seconded by Mr. Greim the Board voted (6 in favor, 0 opposed) to send Mr. Bartlett as the funded delegate to the zone meeting in Delaware.
- Executive Director’s Position
Dr. Grant appointed Mr. Sweeney and Ms. Olver to a Committee to formulate a plan for finding a replacement for the Executive Director and report back to the Board at the January 2012 Meeting.
- NCEES Northeast Zone Distinguished Service Award
There were no nominations for this award.
- Zero-Based Budget
Mr. Foster explained the Zero-Based Budgeting initiative and what effect it may have to the Board .
- Speaker for MSPE Educational Symposium on 3/2/12.
Mr. Ames volunteered to represent the Board and speak at the Symposium in March.
- Finance Committee: (Ames)
- Book balance on November 1, 2011 was $212,827. This compares to the balance of $159,941. on November 3, 2009 .
- The number of active licensees on November 1, 2011 was 6080. This compares to 5755 on November 3, 2009.
- Rules Committee: (Sweeney)
Report on progress to date on proposed Statute changes.
Mr. Sweeney reported that his Committee had not met since the August meeting.
- Examinations Committee: (Grant)
- October 28and 29 Exams
The Board was represented by Ms. Labbe as an observer for the PE exam on October 28, 2011 and Dr. Grant observed the FE exam on October 29, 2011.
- Information Committee: (Olver)
- Spring Newsletter
The Board agreed that we should publish a spring 2012 Newsletter.
- Complaint Committee: (Ames)
On a motion by Ms. Olver, seconded by Mr. Sweeney, the Board voted (5 in favor, 0 opposed and 1 recused) to dismiss the complaint due to lack of jurisdiction and to refer to the State of Maine Office of Attorney General for possible further action. The recused vote was Complaint Officer Mr. Ames.
- Special Committees:
- Continuing Education Committee: (Mr. Bartlett)
Nothing to report, Committee will meet in December to review exemption requests.
- Reading of communications:
- E-mail with question pertaining to the design of ADA components. (Olver)
This item was not discussed, will be on the January 2012 meeting agenda.
- Reading and considering applications:
- Review and concurrence of Chair/Executive Director actions:
On a motion by Mr. Sweeney, seconded by Mr. Ames, the Board voted (6 in favor, 0 Opposed), to concur with the following items 1 through 6:
- Temporary certificates issued.
- Licenses authorized for NCEES Certified Applicants.
- Comity licenses authorized by the Executive Director and Chair.
- Licenses by written examinations.
- Licenses by oral examinations.
- Reexaminations authorized by the Executive Director.
- New Engineer Intern (E.I.) Applications.
On a motion by Mr. Sweeney, seconded by Mr. Greim, the Board voted (6 in favor, 0 opposed), to approve applications of Engineer Interns to take the Fundamentals of Engineering examination listed on the attached list under Item #10.B.
- Recently certified Engineer Interns:
On a motion by Mr. Sweeney, seconded by Mr. Ames, the Board voted (6 in favor, 0 opposed) to approve the recently certified Engineer Interns listed on the attached list under Item #10.C
- New P.E. Applications:
On a motion by Mr. Ames, seconded by Ms. Olver, the Board voted (6 in favor, 0 opposed), to accept the Executive Director’s recommendations of all the listed applicants.
- Tabled and previously considered: None
- Reexamination Requests:
- Jodi A. Dube’-O’Neal failed three times, requesting to take April 2012 exam.
On a motion by Ms. Olver, seconded by Mr. Greim, the Board voted (6 in favor, 0 opposed) to allow Ms. O’Neal to sit for the April 2012 Principle and Practices Exam.
- Oscar F. Emerson, Jr. – Applied to take the Principle and Practices Exam.
At the August meeting the Board voted to table until the November meeting. On a motion by Mr. Sweeney, seconded by Mr. Bartlett, the Board voted (6 in favor, 0 opposed), to deny Mr. Emerson’s application based on the lack of an engineering degree or an acceptable equivalent.
- Other applications or requests:
- Neil Bhasin- Applied for Licensure by Comity. At the August Meeting the Board voted to approve Mr. Bhasin to sit for an oral examination pursuant to 32 M.R.S.A. Section 1352-A(1)(G). Mr. Bhasin decided not to pursue Licensure in the State of Maine.
- Kiran Chandran- At the August meeting the Board voted to table Mr. Chandran’s application pending receipt of proof of his undergraduate degree and a copy of his transcript directly from the undergraduate institution. The Board received Mr. Chandran’s transcript directly from his undergraduate institution. On a motion by Mr. Sweeney, seconded by Mr. Bartlett, the Board voted (6 in favor, 0 opposed) to approve Mr. Chandran application for licensure.
- Unfinished Business:
- New Business:
- Oral Exams:
After the oral interview the Board voted, on a motion by Mr. Bartlett, seconded by Ms. Olver, the Board voted (6 in favor, 0 opposed) not to approve Mr. Forsythe application for licensure as a Professional Engineer by Oral Exam, but agreed that Mr. Forsythe be given the opportunity for licensure by the written Principles and Practice of Engineering Exam.
- Next meetings are, January 19, 2012 and March 15, 2012
- On a motion by Mr. Ames, seconded by Ms. Olver, the Board voted (6 in favor, 0 opposed), to adjourn. Meeting adjourned at 11:50 AM
Warren T. Foster, P.E