Email and Voice Mail Retention Guide
Maine State Archives recently published a document that serves as a guide for state users when trying to answer some of the following questions:
- How long do e-mails have to be kept?
- What about mailbox storage limits?
- What about FOAA (the Freedom of Access Act)?
- Is it acceptable to delete messages after I've saved them somewhere else or printed them for paper filing?
- What about e-mail "chains" (threads, strings, etc.)?
- Why not just keep it all (and isn't OIT doing that already, for heaven's sake)?
- What about voice mail?
The full guide can be accessed at the Secretary of State Archive website: Maine State Archive Publication: Email and Voice Mail Retention Guide.