Home → Meetings and Minutes
Meetings & Minutes
Youth Transitions Committee Meeting MinutesMarch 27, 2008:
Youth Transition Committee 3-27-08 Meeting notes
Attendees: Craig Larrabee, Mary Fran Gamage, Scott Phair, Ahmen Cabral (representing the Muskie School of Public Policy in Maggie’s stead for this meeting), Linda Smith, Meridith Greig, Jeanne Paquette, Debbie Bechard.
Note: The name of this committee has been spelled both with and without an ‘s’ on Transition. It has been decided that the singular version will be the one used from this point on.
• Completed HR Times article – Need Skilled Workers? Help Connect Maine’s Disconnected Youth! The group agreed that this article looks great and discussed if there should be another article and if so, to whom would it be directed, and through whom would it be distributed. Jeanne will make the PDF file of the article available to the committee for posting on various member websites. It will be printed in the 1st issue of the HR Times 2008/09 season. In addition to being received by regular subscribers, each attendee at the May 2008 HR conference will receive a copy.
• New article ideas -- Committee discussed the idea of another article. Options considered: Construction industry: print article via Assoc. General Contractors, MDOT, others Scott will call Kathleen Noonan Linda will speak with Steve Pound of Cianbro and MJC Marine trades, boat builders, etc., via NSAI e-newsletter Regional appeal via CCWI’s “The Cryer”, Bath/Brunswick/Tospham (Charlie Crosby, former legislator) Maine Parent Federation newsletter Chambers of Commerce
• Funding Opportunity -- Performance Excellence Partners, Inc. seeks subcontractors. Deadline: April 30.
Purpose: to facilitate events that will result in specific, new strategies to meet businesses’ need for work-ready and competent employees by adequately preparing struggling individual/populations.
Funds awarded: Up to $10,000 for regional or statewide event. Group brainstormed ideas for event(s) hosted by YTC as grant applicant and state WIB. Messaging to parents & youth Multiple, replicated events in 4 LWIB regions with connection to CTE network (statewide) CATC multi-media students can digitally record keynotes, etc. for distribution to a broader audience; include testimonials. Invite Walt Ridlon of the Community College system to provide the keynote; Scott reports Walt does an outstanding “Gold Collar” presentation. Scott will connect with Walt. Resource tables Follow up with attendees (youth & parents)
Linda will check with Garret to be sure a YTC application for funds would not conflict with other possible applications within ME. Linda will draft an outline of the proposal, confer with Scott, then distribute to the group to discuss via conference call. Mary Fran can host the conference call once the date is determined.
• Maine Youth Resource List Meridith will create a website (hosted by the Transition Network) for the resource list. Jeanne will add the link to the HR article, if it’s ready before her print deadline. Committee members will arrange to post the link on their org/agency websites
• Committee Membership -- list revised. Linda will speak with Candy Carpenter (DOC & Mid Maine Community Action) about joining the committee.
Foreign Born Worker’s Conference: Tues, April 15, 8:30-3:30. JMG’s 16th Annual Career Development Conference: April 30, 9-2 MJC meeting: Friday, April 25, Bangor (TBA) Maine Human Resources Convention: May 6-9, 2008, Samoset resort Future committee meetings (1:30-3:00pm): May date to be determined (original date of May 8 conflicts w/HR conference). Thursday, July 17
Submitted by Debbie Bechard