Skip First Level Navigation | Skip All Navigation
|Home | Contact Us | FAQ | News||
Site Map |
Home > National Register of Historic Places > Historic Properties > > Recent listings > Montville Town House, Montville, 1827-1961
Montville Town House, Montville, 1827-1961
Date listed: 4/24/2012
Criterion A: Politics / Government Criterion D: Religion Criterion Consideration A: Religious facility Local significance.
The Montville Town House was constructed in 1827 by Humphrey Edgcomb as the North Ridge Meeting House. This structure was built to serve the 2nd [Montville] Free Will Baptist Church, which had been organized in 1818. The vernacular building featured box pews and a pulpit situated between the front entrances, a relatively uncommon church arrangement known as a ‘reverse plan’. The function of the building expanded in 1828 when the town of Montville started to utilize the structure as a town house – the location of public meetings and town business. During the middle of the nineteenth century the religious function of the building began to diminish, and by the end of the century the property appears to have lost most, if not all of its religious associations. Remodeled extensively in 1909 and 1910, it’s wide auditorium is the location of town meetings and polling, and the corner room was the Selectmen’s office until recently. The Montville Town House was listed in the National Register of Historic Places under Criterion A, for its long association as the seat of governance and civic affairs in Montville. It also achieves significance under Criterion D as a building which contains of information about reverse plans, and has the potential to inform our understanding the role of this plan had in religious architecture and nineteenth century theology. By virtue of the building’s use as a place for religious services during its period of significance, Criteria Consideration A also applies.
|Copyright © 2006 All rights reserved.|