Skip First Level Navigation | Skip All Navigation
|Home | Contact Us | FAQ | News||
Site Map |
Home > National Register of Historic Places > Historic Properties > > Recent listings > Troy Union Meeting House, Troy, 1840
Troy Union Meeting House, Troy, 1840
Date listed: 11/18/2011
Criterion C: Architecture Local significance.
Located in the rural, Waldo county farming town of Troy, the 1840 Troy Union Meeting House is a classic example of a type of meeting house or church that was erected by some rural communities in Maine in the four decades prior to the Civil War. Built as a Union Church, without a specific denomination, the building served the members of the Troy Meeting House Society, and by extension as the only church in the town, the community. The building features both Greek Revival and Gothic Revival stylistic details on the exterior and a relatively stark interior with modified box pews, wainscoting, and a now-blocked balcony. This is an example of a type of rural church commonly constructed prior to the Civil War which featured a rectilinear footprint with a box belfry positioned astride the front roof ridge and topped with four spirelets, and a twin entrance vestibule, balcony, and relatively unadorned sanctuary on the interior. Other near by examples include the 1835 Dixmont Corner Church, which also has a pinnacled square belfry and lancet arches over the doors and windows, the 1841Unity Union Church, with pointed arch trim and tympanum detailing that is almost an exact match to the Troy church, and the 1842 South Solon Meeting House, located approximately 30 miles northeast of Troy. As a member of this class of church design the Troy Union Meeting House was listed in the National Register of Historic Places as a locally significant example of rural church architecture.
|Copyright © 2006 All rights reserved.|