Student Information – Due Date: October 1, 2007
ADMINISTRATIVE LETTER: 7
POLICY CODE: JF
TO: Superintendent of Schools
FROM: Susan A. Gendron, Commissioner
DATE: September 13, 2007
SUBJECT: Reporting 2007-08 Student Information – Due Date: October 1, 2007
The MEDMS (Maine Education Data Management System) Student Information System module is online for school year 2007-08 updates. The updated 2007-08 student information will be utilized to meet State and federal reporting requirements (NCLB, Graduates, Dropouts, AYP, etc) as well as the calculation of State subsidy for 2008-09.
MEDMS Student Personal and Enrollment – Due Date: October 1, 2007
October 1, 2007 Student Count – all students should be enrolled by October 1, 2007 so that resident school administrative units may review the data and final verification of the October 1st student count (EPS Report) can take place between October 1, 2007 and October 15, 2007. An Administrative Letter regarding the verification of the October 1st student count will be sent later this month. The MEDMS home page is available at: http://www.maine.gov/education/medms/homepage.htm
New MEDMS Requirements:
- The School Entry Date should be the day the student’s enrollment began in the current school year. This is a change from the previous requirement that the date be when the student was first enrolled in the school. The change will facilitate more accurate year-to-year reporting and reduce enrollment date conflicts.
- Changes to a student’s Resident Town and/or Resident SAU fields will require new MEDMS enrollments even if the student remains in the same school.
- Exit the student using Other (exit code 99).
- Re-enroll the student with the updated Resident Town and Resident SAU. The School Entry Date should be the date the student’s status changed.
The change will facilitate more accurate AYP and school funding reporting by recording the enrollment periods attributed to each resident school unit.
- Students enrolled in Special Purpose Private Schools (e.g., Spurwink, Sweetser) must have two enrollment records in MEDMS:
- Main enrollment must be created by the sending school (school listed on IEP), and
- Concurrent enrollment in the attending private school.
Enrollment instructions for Special Purpose Private Schools are posted at http://www.maine.gov/education/medms/specialpurposeprivateschools.html . The Main enrollment must be entered by the sending school unit prior to the Concurrent enrollment by the attending school. The sending school must be identified for reporting purposes since the Special Purpose Private Schools do not issue credits and diplomas.
- The Fiscal Responsibility “Paid by Other SAU or EUT” has been renamed to “Paid by Resident SAU or EUT”. This fiscal responsibility field is used for a non-resident student for which tuition is paid by that student's resident public school administrative unit (SAU) or by Education in the Unorganized Territory (EUT).
If a student has moved from your school administrative unit to another school administrative unit prior to October 1, 2007, the exit date should be the last day they are enrolled in your school administrative unit. Please do not keep a student enrolled if the student has left the school administrative unit and is not expected to return.
The following information is available on the MEDMS Student Information System module website: http://www.maine.gov/education/medms/studentinfolist.htm
- Student Data Entry Completion
- Data Fields to Complete Student Data
- General Definitions Related to Student Enrollment Data
- Dropout Reporting Instructions
- EPS Reporting Instructions – Public
- EPS Reporting Instructions -- Private
- Fiscal Responsibility Guidelines
- Foreign Exchange Student Information
- Home School Education
- State Agency Clients Information
- Superintendent Agreement Information
- Safe and Drug Free Incident Definitions
- Definitions Regarding Discipline of Special Education Students
- 2007-08 Student Module Instructions for Special Purpose Private Schools
Superintendents of schools may review the students that have been enrolled in the MEDMS Student Information System module by logging into MEDMS from the MEDMS home page and implementing the following steps:
Step 1. Click on “MEDMS Log In”, type in Username and Password.
Step 2. Under “Application”, select “Download Data” then click on “Go”.
Step 3. Under “Action”, select “Student Enrollments” then click on “Go”.
Step 4. Under “Select a File to Download”, you may choose either “All Attending Student Data” for an Excel file of your unit’s attending students or “Out of District Placement/Tuition Students” for an Excel file of your resident students that are attending other school administrative units or private schools.
Step 5. Under “Select School Year”, choose 2008 for the 2007-08 school year.
Step 6. Click “Submit”.
At this point a dialog box will appear on your screen with the question “Do you want to open or save this file?” We recommend that you “save” this file to an appropriate place on your computer or network drive. In order to keep this file up-to-date, you need to follow the steps above each time student data are updated in the MEDMS Student Information System module.
In order for the school administrative unit to receive an accurate subsidy count, some of the key fields to be completed in MEDMS Student Information System module are:
- English Proficiency
- Resident Town
- Resident SAU
- Attending SAU
- Grade Level
- School Lunch Eligibility
- Fiscal Responsibility
- Home School Education and SAU FTE %
- Special Education
- LEP (Limited English Proficient) Data
- State Ward or State Agency Client
If you have any questions regarding the MEDMS Student Information System module, please contact the MEDMS Help Desk, Tel. (207) 624-6896 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have any general student questions, please contact Rick Bergeron, Tel. (207) 624-6799 or e-mail email@example.com