Federal School-based Health Centers Grant Application
INFORMATIONAL LETTER: 3
POLICY CODE: DDA
TO: Superintendents of Schools, Private Schools, Special Purpose Private Schools, and School Nurses
FROM: Angela Faherty, Ph.D., Acting Commissioner of Education
DATE: July 13, 2010
RE: Federal School-based Health Centers Grant Application
On June 30, 2010, the US Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) posted a grant under the Affordable Care Act (ACA) School-Based Health Centers Capital Program. This grant is for $50,000 and will be awarded to 1,000 school districts nation-wide to support school-based health center efforts to expand capacity to provide primary healthcare services to school-aged children. The link to the full announcement and application is available at:
The grant application is due JULY 30, 2010. School administrative units are encouraged to include school nurses in the grant application process.
A school-based health center is defined as a health clinic that:
- Is located in or near a school facility of a school district or board of an Indian tribe or tribal organization;
- Is organized through school, community, and health provider relationships;
- Is administered by a sponsoring facility;
- Provides through health professionals primary health services to children in accordance with State and local law, including laws relating to licensure and certification; and
- Satisfies such other requirements as a State may establish for the operation of such a clinic.
A sponsoring facility includes any of the following:
- A hospital;
- A public health office;
- A community health center;
- A non-profit health care agency;
- A school or school system; or
- A program administered by the Indian Health Services or the Bureau of Indian Affairs or operated by an Indian tribe or a tribal organization.
If you have difficulty accessing the full announcement electronically, please contact: HRSA Call Center at 1-877-464-4772 or 1-301-998-7373 or email CallCenter@HRSA.GOV .
If you have further questions, please contact Nancy Dube RN, School Nurse Consultant for the Maine Department of Education, at 207-624-6688 or firstname.lastname@example.org or Shannon King, at the Maine CDC at 207-287-5364 or email@example.com .