SafetyWorks! Toolbox Talks
- Select a topic. Use a priority sequence. Accidents/incidents, demonstrated lack of skills, required or mandatory training (e.g., fall protection, ladders and stairways.)
- Choose a good location to train (away from noise and other distractions).
- Research the subject; include company policies and procedures
- If a new subject, ask what the audience already knows (so you can avoid covering that information in great detail)
- Always have a good attitude when training!
- Describe what is going to be taught
- Tell why the subject (or training) is important
- Describe safety procedures, general and specific
- If necessary, demonstrate safety procedures; one step at a time
- Repeat steps if necessary; be patient
- Get workers involved in the discussion; encourage questions
- In demonstrations:
- ask worker to perform procedures
- correct any errors immediately; address performance not person
- practice until you and the worker are confident
- Observe worker performing safety procedures on the job
- Ask for feed-back; encourage questions
- Give feedback on performances
- Decrease observation over time as appropriate
NOTE: Always promote a discussion on any of the topics covered in the Tool Box Talks. Should any question arise that you cannot answer, don’t hesitate to contact your Employer or SafetyWorks!.