MORA Meeting Minutes
November 14, 2007:
MINUTES MORA November 14, 2007
Attending: Carol Eckert, Kathy Schulz, Mike Rowland, Leslie Walleigh, Leslie Manning, Ruth Lawson-Stopps, Ivan Most, Desi-Rae Severson, Ted Bradstreet, and Terry Hathaway
Call to Order. Carol Eckert called the meeting to order at 10:03 a.m. in the Frances Perkins Conference Room A, Central Maine Commerce Center.
Approval of October 10th Minutes. Kathy Schulz made a motion to accept the October 10, 2007 minutes as amended. Desi-Rae Severson seconded the motion. Vote, unanimous.
PDAG Update – Terry Hathaway. Terry Hathaway summarized the October 17th PDAG meeting. Bill Peabody handed out a preliminary draft of the annual report for members to review. There was discussion regarding a self-insurer to conduct a self-assessment of M.O.’s (Medical Only), similar to MEMIC’s. At the next PDAG meeting, Bill will put together another draft with some additions. Leslie Walleigh stated that the Maine Health Data Organization suggested MORA to do a presentation at their office. John Rioux and Ted Bradstreet handed out an “Executive Summary” of the Maine Small Business Safety and Health Needs Assessment for members to review and make recommendations. Bill suggested that for 2008, the group take a limited number of items to focus on, with small groups working on them over the year, seeking outside assistance (if necessary). Bill has reviewed the PDAG membership list and would like to add some representatives to replace those members who have left. The next regularly scheduled meeting of PDAG was for November 21st. Since the last meeting, the meeting has been postponed to November 28th.
Migrant Farmworker Project Update – Mike Rowland. Mike said that the project is moving ahead. There has been a personal contribution and an application to the Arts Foundation for $2,500 for transportation of the exhibit, which they will hear about on January 1st. He has spoken with Congressman Michaud’s office and they are interested. The exhibit will be rolled on in April at the Harvard School of Public Health. Mike and Peter are working with Senator Beth Edmonds regarding an exhibit at the State House. Leslie Manning suggested that perhaps the State House exhibit could coincide with the Cezar Chavez Celebration on March 31st. She also suggested that the exhibit could be displayed here at the Department of Labor office as the current display will be done in December. Mike will discuss further with Leslie.
Mike’s slides will be posted on a website for Ivan’s class when the photographs are available.
New Hampshire Occupational Needs Assessment – Ivan Most. Ivan has been in contact with Karla Armenti, New Hampshire Department of Health and Human Services. New Hampshire is interested in MORA and would like some representatives to come to their meeting in Concord on December 14th. Also attending this meeting will be Tish Davis, Massachusetts. Ivan is unsure of his schedule at this time, but asked if MORA had any problem with him representing them at the New Hampshire meeting. Leslie Manning recommended that Ivan represent MORA as Ivan has been with MORA since its inception and has been involved at the national level. The initial focus and current priorities, how MORA sees itself moving forward and working with New Hampshire on regional issues. Ivan will check his December calendar and let Terry know. Leslie Manning also suggested Peter Doran. Leslie will put in an out-of-state travel request from the Bureau of Labor Standards. Ivan will respond to Karla and if December 14th does not work out, then he will invite Karla to an upcoming MORA meeting.
Jackson Lab Conference Update – Ivan Most. Ivan said that Jackson Lab is running the Conference and MORA is a partner. Jackson Lab wants to know MORA’s interest as they are focusing on genetics in the workplace. As Ivan does not want to be the only person representing MORA, he needs leadership from MORA for this Conference. Leslie Manning asked what is the audience and what does Jackson Lab need from MORA. Ruth reminded the group that MORA asked Jackson Lab to do the Conference. Jackson Lab Is waiting for MORA to provide the audience and speakers.
Leslie Manning suggested that the Conference could “tie in” with other events rather than “stand alone”. Jackson Lab is geared toward occupational research and MDOL is focused on the impact on workers
Leslie Manning suggested MORA form a Conference Committee, who would have on-going discussions with Jackson Lab and report back to MORA. What does Jackson Lab need from MORA?
Ruth expressed her concern about the timing of the Conference in the Fall. She suggested a different time of year. MORA will brainstorm ideas and topics that could help.
Ivan reminded the group that the Conference came about as a result of Jackson Lab’s presentation to MORA one and a half years ago. Discussion continued regarding legal and ethical issues and biometrics. Biometrics uses something that is a personal, unique identifier (i.e., eyes, fingerprint, saliva) to prove who you are. Biometrics is actively being used for national Social Security, drivers license, etc. Leslie Manning added that Maine’s “right to know” law ensures that all workers need to know everything that affects them and their families.
One of MORA’s priorities is cost drivers. Leslie Manning suggested that the Cost Drivers group should meet before the next MORA meeting so information can be shared.
Leslie Manning and Ivan will be part of the Conference Committee. Ivan is participating in a conference call with Jackson Lab to let them know that the timing of the Conference may be changed from the Fall of 2008 to the Spring of 2009.
Other & Announcments. Ruth is in transition and needs to resign from MORA at this time. She has accepted the position of Program Manager of the Asthma Control Program, Maine Department of Health and Human Services.
Mike said that the Northeast Center for Agricultural Safety and Heatlh has begun a tractor roll-over protection marketing project for roll bars and seat belts. Mike would be willing to do a presentation at the December MORA meeting.
Kathy asked for MORA’s input on the “white paper” for the “Top 100 Most Costly Workers’ Compensation Claims”. She will e-mail to Terry, who will forward to the group for their comments.
Also, at the next meeting, MORA will discuss the New Hampshire meeting, the Maine Health Data Organization will be invited to a joint meeting of MORA and PDAG on January 16, 2008, and an update from the Cost Driver’s group. Leslie Walleigh will invite them after discussing with Bill Peabody
Ruth suggested inviting outsiders for Mike’s presentation on tractor roll-over protection.
Next Meeting – Wednesday, December 12 , 2007. The next MORA meeting will be held on Wednesday, December 12, 2007, 10:00 a.m. to Noon, Frances Perkins Conference Room A, Central Maine Commerce Center.
Adjournment. Carol Eckert adjourned the meeting at 11:39 a.m.