MORA Meeting Minutes
September 13, 2006:
MINUTES MORA September 13, 2006
Attending: Jonathan Lepoff, Peter Doran, Ivan Most, Ruth Lawson-Stopps, Michael Rowland, Kim Lim, Cathy Schulz, John Newton, Leslie Manning, Steve Greeley, Ted Bradstreet, and Terry Hathaway
Call to Order. Jonathan Lepoff called the meeting to order at 10:03 A.M. in the Bureau of Labor Standards, 3rd floor conference room, Hallowell.
Introductions were made.
Approval of June 14 2006 Minutes: Ivan Most made a motion to accept the minutes as written. Peter Crockett seconded the motion. Vote, unanimous.
Ivan will invite Ann Backus to the November 8th meeting.
Committee Reports: No reports were made by either the Finance Committee or the Data Committee as neither had met prior to the meeting. Tabled to October 11th meeting.
PDAG Update – Terry Hathaway. The last meeting of PDAG was June 21st. Al May reported for the Data Subgroup. He talked about the CSTE Conference highlights. In July, Al May and Leslie Walleigh were to meet with Bill Peabody to work on project funding. The Prevention Subgroup made modifications to the survey instrument to send to Dave Wacker to update. A report out will take place at their next meeting. John Rioux talked about the Project Timeline Current Coding systems and identified four coding systems. Bill Peabody talked about the Resolve to put together a Study Group on Workplace violence with a specific membership, including retail, law enforcement, the New England Council for Convenience Stores, and State policy advocacy groups. The focus of the Resolve is on violence due to criminal activity in retail situations.
Other. Peter Doran said he had received a series of slides from Earl Dotter of the blueberry field workers. Earl’s letter expressed a desire to put together a presentation on seasonal migrant workers and comparative work in Maine. Peter stated this might be an item that could be brought to MORA to fit into the research categories and obtain research dollars. MORA could see if this is the kind of project to help Earl get funding for putting his presentation together and bringing his exhibit to Maine. Mike Rowland said that Earl and Tennessee Watson, (Center for Documentary Studies, Durham, North Carolina) are talking about doing a combined photo and interview exhibition. David Stess is a blueberry raker and photojournalist from New York who has a photo exhibition at the Portland Museum of Art on September 23rd. David, Tennessee, and Earl are discussing a joint project next summer covering all seasonal harvesters.
Mike would like to explore the possibility of expanding the exhibition to the Legislature, etc. Ivan Most will talk to the University of New England (UNE) – once a new Dean of the College of Medicine is named - regarding occupational safety and health student’s practicum getting data from PDAG (Prevention Data Advisory Group). Peter Doran brought up the question, “is MORA ready to embark in this direction where we could play a collaborative role?” Peter would like to do a presentation of some of Earl’s slides at a subsequent MORA meeting. Peter is going to check with Earl about putting some of Earl’s slides on a CD and perhaps having them on the Maine Department of Labor Web Site. Terry will check with Adam Fisher to see if that is o.k.
Ruth suggested that perhaps Earl could have a display at the Hall of Flags for a day or two as well as having people speak about occupational safety and health to get attention of the legislators. She also suggested that, since this is an election year, should wait until January or February to see who is elected and who is on the Labor Committee. Ruth will talk to the Governor’s office at that time. Peter Doran is going to speak with Beth Edmonds, Speaker of the House, before anything is done and then an approach can be developed.
Mike asked if the Harvard ERC mini-grants would be an appropriate source of funding? Ivan will talk to Ann Backus. MORA could write a letter supporting this grant.
Mike Rowland discussed his plans for working with the legislature on issues relating to farmworker health and safety as part of his two-year fellowship project at Columbia. One issue discussed was cholinesterase testing to measure exposure to organophosphate pesticides. Current, California and Washington are the only states which require cholinesterase testing of agricultural workers.
Peter Doran suggested Mike Rowland take the lead in developing a project regarding Maine Migrant Health as a priority and needs to go to the Research Committee. Mike would like to use expertise in MORA as a resource. Mike will update the group periodically and get input and names of people to talk with.
Ruth suggested developing a timeline and, in doing so, developing an end goal, which could be to raise awareness through research so that a presentation can be made eto the Labor Committee and to be able to propose legislative changes.
Ruth also suggested that Mike could e-mail and outline the project or do a presentation at the next MORA meeting.
Next meeting – Wednesday, October 11, 2006. Agenda items will include PDAG update, Subcommittee Reports, presentation by Michele Polacsek, and presentation by Mike Rowland.
Adjournment. Jonathan Lepoff adjourned the meeting at 11:18 A.M.