Contaminated Device Protocol
Published:April 12, 2011
There is a new protocol for handling machines that have been contaminated with bodily fluids (Occasionally a laptop is contaminated with vomit, blood, or urine either from humans or pets).
If a laptop is contaminated at home or school, the student should bring the machine to the nurse, who will wrap up the laptop to give to the Tech Lead.
Under no circumstances should contaminated devices be sent to the MLTI local depot. Please follow these instructions instead:
1. Put on disposable gloves, available from the nurse’s office.
2. Place laptop contaminated with bodily fluid in plastic trash bag, tie off, then place inside another plastic bag. Tie off second bag.
3. Mark bag as containing bodily fluids and identify what kind of fluids.
4. Call the MLTI Help Desk and request an escalation to the local project team.
5. The listed Tech Lead will then be contacted with further instructions on packing and shipping of contaminated device using Advanced Chemical Transport.
6. Submit a buffer request for replacement in the MLTI Asset Manager as “lost/stolen”. Be sure to mention in the Comments section that the machine is contaminated and what happened.
The MLTI Team