2011 MLTI Webinars - Starting Thursday January 6, 2011
Published:January 4, 2011
Virtual Worlds for Learning Facilitated by Tim Hart
Thursday Teacher Webinar
January 6, 2011 at 3:15 pm and 7:15 pm
From World of Warcraft to Farmville virtual worlds are all around us. While being mainstream in the entertainment industry for years, interactive virtual worlds are starting to gain traction in the 21st-century classroom.
Many recent surveys suggest that nearly 99% of young people play video games. This indicates an entire generation with skill and ability navigating this relatively new interactive medium. Using virtual worlds, educators can tap this wealth of experience to provide a unique platform for interacting with information. Educators now have the ability to create custom learning environments that are not feasible (let alone possible) in the real world.
The unique qualities of virtual worlds can provide opportunities for rich, sensory, immersive experiences, authentic contexts and activities for experiential learning, simulation and role-play, modelling of complex scenarios, a platform for data visualization and opportunities for collaboration and co-creation that cannot be easily experienced using other platforms.
This webinar will introduce participants to virtual worlds, how they are currently being used in classrooms, and suggest next steps to teachers looking to integrate interactive virtual worlds into their curricula. We will also be talking with Mary O’Brien, third grade teacher at Manchester Elementary School, about her experiences in virtual worlds.
For more information on this webinar and to register, please choose the WebCasts tab at the top of the Maine121.org.
If you have any questions, please contact Juanita Dickson.
Keep in mind:
- All of MLTI’s webinars are free and contact hours are available.
- Webinars are recorded and made available for viewing on the Maine121 Archives page.
- The current schedule of MLTI’s 2010-2011 Webinar Series’ can be found by going to Maine121.org and clicking on the WebCasts tab at the top of the page.
MLTI’s 2010 - 2011 Webinar Series:
- Feed Forward - Designed for teachers & technology staff, these occur on the 3rd Tuesday of each month at 3:15pm. These are facilitated by the MLTI Team.
- Principal Leadership - Designed for principals & assistant principals. These will run every 4th Tuesday at 4:00pm and are facilitated by Chris Toy.
- Thursday Teacher Webinars - Designed for classroom teachers, these webinars will take place every Thursday at 3:15pm and 7:15pm. These are facilitated by MLTI Professional Development Staff.
MLTI Project Team