Common Core State Standards Introduction (ME Department of Education)
Published:September 9, 2010
The following message is being sent on behalf of Patsy Dunton, English Language Arts Specialist/Midcoast Regional Representative at the Department of Education. Any questions pertaining to the information below can be sent to Patsy Dunton.
Common Core State Standards Introduction
Presented by Maine Department of Education
Would you like to learn more about the Common Core State Standards (CCSS) Initiative in Maine and how it may affect your work? Join us for a full day workshop to learn about:
• the layout and organization of all the CCSS documents for English Language Arts;
• some of the content within the document including definitions of text complexity, role of text types, and sample or suggested texts and students performance tasks;
• the impact on NECAP/SAT and strategies for transition;
• understanding the foundational skills presented in the document (K-5); and
• implications for the Literacy standards in history/social studies, science, and technical subjects (specific to 6-12).
Who should attend? Teachers – in any content area and grade level, administrators, curriculum coordinators, literacy coaches, literacy specialists, department chairs, special educators, and NCLB coordinators.
All sessions begin at 9 am and will end by 3 pm. We will provide lunch to all participants. There is no cost for this event.
There will be a breakout session in the afternoon for K-5 or 6-12 so you must indicate which you will attend when you register. To register, click on the appropriate link listed below.
-September 20: Keeley the Caterer, Portland (registration closes 9/16) http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/ccssportland
-September 23: Spectacular Events Center, Bangor (registration closes 9/20) http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/ccssbangor
-September 30: UMaine Presque Isle (registration closes 9/27) http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/ccssumpi
You will receive an email confirmation which will include directions to the venue and materials to bring prior to the event.
You may also contact Patsy Dunton or Lee Anne Larsen for more information.