Commission on Disability and Employment, 2007 Annual Report
April 7, 2008
The Maine Jobs Council, Commission on Disability and Employment recently released its 2007 Annual Report outlining the organization's leadership activities on issues pertaining to people with disabilities.
The Commission’s work continues to be guided by the strategic plan it released in January 2006 entitled Working Together: Maine’s Strategic Plan to Maximize the Employment of People with Disabilities. Six priorities were identified in that report, and the Commission’s work over the past year will be organized and presented within those areas, which are:
1. Create an employer outreach and education plan.
2. Ensure that Maine state government is a model employer for people with disabilities.
3. Better support young people with disabilities who are transitioning from school to work.
4. Improve and expand vocational rehabilitation services.
5. Expand benefits counseling to people with disabilities who work, or who want to work.
6. Enhance data collection about workers with disabilities and ensure that data can be shared by relevant service agencies.