Teaching Guide and Activities
People to People: Legislating Maine
LESSON 1: OVERVIEW OF LAWMAKING IN MAINE
At the end of Lesson 1 students will be able to
- describe the process by which a proposed law is adopted.
- identify the characteristics of an effective citizen.
- Students will take the pre-test to establish a baseline of knowledge about Maine's legislative process; record scores.
- Distribute the Student Guide for Viewing the Video .
- Introduce and view the video.
- Encourage students to share their general impressions after viewing.
- Individually or in groups, list 5 questions about state laws that you would like to discuss with your legislators.
- Using the legislature's website , find the address of the Senator and Representative who represent you in the legislature.
- Write a letter to one of your legislators about one of the issues that you identified in your list of 5 topics.
- Copies of Pre-test
- Hand-outs of Student Guide for Viewing the Video
- Person to Person: Legislating Maine video, for use with MediaPlayer or Real Player.
- Computers with Internet access
- Folder or notebook for “The Path to Maine Lawmaking”
- Based on their pre-test scores, have students demonstrated general knowledge about lawmaking in Maine?
- Based on the nature of their questions, have students demonstrated their abilities to see relationships between their daily lives and the activities associated with lawmaking in Maine?
- Have students successfully located their legislators' addresses?
- Have students used appropriate letter format?