Skip Maine state header navigation

Agencies | Online Services | Help

Skip First Level Navigation | Skip All Navigation

New Resident With Valid Out-of-State License

If you are moving to this state and have in your possession a valid out-of-state driver's license, you can obtain a Maine license by: 

1.  Visiting the Maine Bureau of Motor Vehicles office nearest you. Conversion of a CDL license must be processed by the Bureau of Motor Vehicles main office located on Hospital Street in Augusta.

2. Providing proof of:

  1. legal presence
  2. residency

3.  Completing a vision screening . You may not be required to take a written and road test. 

4.  Turning in your out-of-state license. 

5.  Paying the exam and license fees (these fees differ by license class).

Detailed information on laws, exams and licenses is available in booklet form. The Motorist Handbook and Study Guide is for Class C licenses and motorcycles. The Commercial Driver's Manual is the guide for CDL licenses. You can obtain either of these manual online or at any one of our branch offices or by contacting our Main Office. 

You must obtain a new Maine license within 30 days of becoming a resident of the State of Maine.