Skip Maine state header navigation

Agencies | Online Services | Help

Skip First Level Navigation | Skip All Navigation

Home >Exhibits> Main Street Yesterdays

Main Street Yesterdays

from the George French Collection

To order reproductions of any of these materials from our holdings contact the Maine State Archives at 207-287-5795.

Picture of a Horse and Buggy in Farmington Falls

Horse and buggy days in Farmington Falls.

Picture of Auburn's Civil War Monument

Nearly every Maine town has its Civil War monument. Auburn's sentinal still stands guard in 1947.

Photo of Freeport, Maine

Main St., Freeport (home of L.L. Bean).

Picture of the Rumford Point Ferry

The Ferry to Rumford Point.

Picture of Flowers in Hallowell, Maine, 1944

Summer, 1944 in Hallowell.

Photo of Autumn in Gray, Maine

Autumn in Gray, Maine. All those fallen leaves were probably raked up and burned in curbside bonfires... A practice now banned nearly everywhere.

Picture of Flagstaff Village

A town that's gone forever. The village of Flagstaff disappeared beneath the waters of Flagstaff Lake on March 24, 1950, when the Dead River Dam Hydroelectric Project was completed. Townspeople held a last "Old Home Day" picnic on the grounds of this church on July 4, 1949.