Board Meeting Minutes: March 17, 2016
STATE OF MAINE BOARD OF LICENSURE FOR PROFESSIONAL ENGINEERS
MEETING MINUTES Thursday, March 17, 2016
Present: Board members present were: Mandy Holway Olver, PE, Chair; Clifton W. Greim, PE, Vice Chair; George W. Ames, PE; Lawrence E. Bartlett, PE; Joyce Noel Taylor, PE; and Knud E. Hermansen, PE, PLS, PhD, Esq. Also present were: Judith Peters, Assistant Attorney General, and David Jackson, Executive Director.
- Call to Order, Minutes of prior meetings and other preliminaries
A. The meeting was called to order at 9:01 a.m. by Chair Mandy Holway Olver in the First Floor Conference Room at 295 Water Street in Augusta, Maine.
B. On motion by Ms. Taylor and second by Mr. Ames, the minutes of the board meeting held on January 21, 2016 were approved as modified by a 6-0 vote.
- Committee Reports
A. Executive Committee (Chair)
B. Finance Committee (Greim)
Book balance on March 9, 2016 was $566,492 compared to a balance of $523,798 on March 7, 2014.
The number of active licensees on March 8, 2016 was 5846, compared to 5530 on March 11, 2014
C. Rules Committee (Ames)
- Rules Committee to review statute and draft appropriate language for suggested revisions for June meeting.
D. Examinations Committee (Hermansen)
- Board received list of approved candidates and 66 candidates registered for the April PE Exam, 5 for the SE Lateral Forces Exam and 5 for the SE Vertical Forces Exam.
E. Information Committee (Olver)
- The following are proposed articles for the Spring 2015 newsletter: a. Thoughts While Driving (Olver) b. Results of the October exams c. Audit process and PDH Records d. PDH course development e. Engineers Week at UMaine f. NCEES Meeting reports g. When sealed documents are required
F. Complaint Committee (Ames)
G. Continuing Education Committee (Bartlett)
- Audits to begin in April.
- PDH course development report.
- PDH Exemptions reviewed and approved by board. Russ Brigham – On motion by Mr. Hermansen and second by Ms. Taylor, the board voted 6-0 to grant an exemption on the basis of an extenuating situation, hardship, or disability. Ronald Rideout – On motion by Mr. Hermansen and second by Ms. Taylor, the board voted 6-0 to grant an exemption on the basis of an extenuating situation, hardship, or disability.
H. Special Committees
Communications A. Email requesting notification from Board if we are sending observers for April NCEES PE exam. No action by board. B. Email for Jerry Carter with NCEES Memo recognizing equivalency of Canadian engineering degrees to NCEES Standard. No action by board. C. Email from Victorian Wingo celebrating success of Engineering Expo. No action by board. D. Thank you note from Eric Ellis, PE. No action by board.
A. Review and concurrence of Chair/Executive Director actions
- Temporary certificates issued.
- Comity licenses authorized for NCEES Model Law Engineers.
- Comity licenses authorized by the Executive Director and Chair.
- Licenses by written examination.
- Re-examinations authorized by the Executive Director.
On motion by Mr. Hermansen and second by Mr. Ames the Board voted 6-0 to concur with items 1-5 above.
B. New Engineer Intern (EI) Applications 1. Ellowitz -- On motion by Mr. Hermansen and second by Mr. Ames the Board voted to approve the Application for Engineer-Intern Certification.
C. Recently Certified Engineer Interns On motion by Mr. Hermansen and second by Ms. Taylor the Board voted 6-0 to approve the list of recently certified Engineer-Interns.
D. New PE Applications (Exec Dir) 1. Smelker – On motion by Ms. Taylor and second by Mr. Hermansen the Board voted 6-0 to approve the Application for Professional Engineering Licensure. 2. Longfellow – On motion by Mr. Hermansen and second by Ms. Taylor the Board voted 6-0 to deny the Application for Professional Engineering Licensure and to issue a Preliminary Denial. 3. Mints -- On motion by Mr. Hermansen and second by Mr. Ames the Board voted 5-1 to deny the Application for Professional Engineering Licensure and to issue a Preliminary Denial.
E. Tabled and Previously Considered
F. Reexamination Requests 1. None
G. Other applications or requests
- Pending Business
A. NCEES Annual Meeting, August 24-27, Indianapolis, IN On motion by Mr. Hermansen and second by Mr. Greim, the Board voted 6-0 to send the Executive Director to the NCEES Annual Meeting in Indianapolis, IN and to authorize him to vote on behalf of the Board. Discussion of which board member(s) may attend postponed to the June board meeting.
- New Business
A. ABET Criterion 3 and 5 Board member to access ABET website and offer comments at their discretion.
B. Decoupling PE Exam from experience requirement. On motion by Mr. Hermansen and second by Ms. Taylor, the Board voted 6-0 in favor of the idea of decoupling the PE exam requirement from the requirement for four years of engineering work experience. The Rules Committee will prepare language for the June board meeting to support such a change.
C. OIT Web Services The Executive Director will explore the availability of obtaining web services from the OIT Web Service Group to replace outside vendors.
D. ALMS System – On motion by Mr. Ames and second by Mr. Greim, the Board voted to approve the expenditure of $3500 for a Preliminary Analysis of the feasibility of migrating the database to the ALMS system. Executive Director will return to the June board meeting with a cost/benefit analysis.
E. Discuss PDH Credit for teaching college engineering On motion by Mr. Hermansen and second by Mr. Greim, the board voted 1-5 against the motion interpret the statute in the manner proposed. On motion by Mr. Hermansen and second by Ms. Taylor the Board voted 6-0 to have the Rules Committee draft language appropriate with the intent that full-time faculty receive PDH credit the first time they teach a course or seminar.
F. Hosting NE Zone Meeting 2018 – Discussion of board responsibilities regarding the NE Zone meeting in two years.
G. UMaine Crow Ceremony – Board expressed a desire to participate in the Crowe Ceremony on May 14 at 10:00am for the College of Engineering and for the Department of Engineering Technology. Mr. Greim, Mr. Hermansen, the Executive Director, and possibly the Chair will attend.
A. Next scheduled meetings are June 16, 2016 and August 18, 2016
B. Meeting adjourned at 11:55 AM.