Board Meeting Minutes: June 20, 2013
Present: Board members present were: Mandy Holway Olver, PE, Chair; Clifton W. Greim, PE, Vice-Chair; Donald A. Grant, PE; George W. Ames, PE; Kenneth L. Sweeney, PE; and Lawrence E. Bartlett, PE. Also present were: Judith Peters, Assistant Attorney General, and David Jackson, Executive Director.
Call to Order: The meeting was called to order at 9:00 a.m. by the Chair in the Board office, Olde Federal Building, 295 Water Street, Suite 207, Augusta, Maine.
1. Minutes of previous meeting and other preliminaries.
- Approval of the minutes of the board meeting held on March 21, 2013.
- Approval of the minutes of the board meeting held on April 23, 2103. Minutes approved as amended.
2. Executive Committee (Chair)
- Report on 2013 NCEES Zone Meeting (Bartlett) Mr. Bartlett reported on his attendance at the Northeast Zone Meeting and discussed issues relevant to the Board. He will follow up with a written report that will be distributed by email.
- 2013 NCEES Annual Meeting, August 21-24, San Antonio, Texas On motion by Mr. Ames and second by Mr. Greim, the Board voted 6-0 to send Mr. Bartlett and the Executive Director to represent the Board at the Annual Meeting.
- Schedule of replacement of ex-officio board member Mr. Sweeney retires from MDOT effective at the end of the day June 20, 2013. When DOT names a replacement for Mr. Sweeney, that individual will become a member of the Board by operation of law.
- Report on meeting with PFR Commissioner Head Report on meeting attended by Chair, Mr. Ames and Executive Director with Commissioner Anne Head and Financial Analyst Rachel Hendsbee, in which the change of the position of Executive Director from part-time to full-time and the financial order and budget process necessary to make that happen were discussed.
3. Finance Committee: (Greim)
- Book balance on June 12, 2013 was $289,885, compared to the book balance of $511,305 on June 4, 2012.
- The number of active licensees on June 12, 2013 was 6140, compared to 5721 on June 4, 2012.
4. Rules Committee: (Sweeney)
- Report on status of PE statute, LD1313.
- Passed by the House June 13, 2013, Passed by the Senate June 14, 2013, signed by Governor June 18, 2013.
- Rulemaking needed for FE exam registration. The Chair appointed Mr. Ames to Chair the Rules Committee, with Mr. Greim as a Committee member. The Executive Director will draft proposed Rule changes to support the statute change, and copy the Rules Committee for their review, to submit to the Board by August 15, 2013.
5. Examinations Committee: (Grant)
- Concurrence with the results of the Principles and Practices of Engineering (PE) examination held on April 12, 2013.
- Concurrence with results of the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) held on April 13, 2013.
- Summary of April 2013 Exam and Candidate Survey.
- Concurrence with the results of the Structural (SE) examination held on April 12 & 13, 2013. On motion by Mr. Sweeney and second by Mr. Ames, the Board concurred with the results of the exams in items 5A, 5B and 5D by a vote of 6-0.
6. Information Committee: (Olver)
- Fall Newsletter – proposed articles
- Notes from the Chair (Olver)
- NCEES Annual Meeting (Exec Dir)
- Renewal (Exec Dir)
- Activity Log (Exec Dir)
- Computer-based testing (Grant)
- Rulemaking (Exec Dir)
- Maintaining Licensure (Exec Dir)
7. Complaint Committee: (Ames)
- Licensee: None
- Unlicensed: None
- Complaints filed by other jurisdictions against Maine PE’s: None
8. Special Committees:
- Continuing Education Committee
- CEO Guideline Committee (Ames)
9. Reading of communications:
- Email from John Lanpher about PE experience requirement. On Motion by Mr. Ames and second by Mr. Greim, the Board voted 6-0 to have the Executive Director write a letter to the correspondent consistent with the qualifications for licensure outlined in the statute.
- Email from Oscar Emerson about PDH credits. On Motion by Mr. Ames and second by Dr. Grant, the Board voted 6-0 to have the Executive Director write a letter informing the correspondent that PDH credits must be accrued after licensure.
- Letter from NCEES approving Exec Dir as Associate Member.
- Letter of Understanding from NCEES about services provided.
- Memo from NCEES notifying of 2014 exam changes.
- Email from General Services about Architectural Engineering
- Email from NCEES regarding FE application approval and score release On Motion by Mr. Sweeney and second by Mr. Greim, the Board voted 6-0 to have automatic approval of FE examinees and to have NCEES release FE exam results directly to the examinees once the exam moves to computer-based testing beginning in January 2014.
- Email from Jim Purcell about NE Zone Leadership Committee On Motion by Mr. Sweeney and second by Mr. Greim, the Board voted 6-0 to allow the Executive Director to serve on the NCEES Northeast Zone Leadership Development Committee.
10. Reading and considering applications:
- Review and concurrence of Chair/Executive Director actions:
- Temporary certificates issued.
- Licenses authorized for NCEES Certified Applicants.
- Comity licenses authorized by the Executive Director and Chair.
- Licenses by written examinations.
- Licenses by oral examinations.
- Re-examinations authorized by the Executive Director. On Motion by Mr. Sweeney and second by Mr. Greim, the Board voted 6-0 to concur with items 10.A.1-6.
- New Engineer Intern (E.I.) Applications.
- Stephen B. Knittweis On Motion by Mr. Sweeney and second by Dr. Grant, the board voted 6-0 to permit the applicant to take the FE exam in October, 2013
- Recently certified Engineer Interns. On Motion by Mr. Sweeney and second by Mr. Ames, the Board voted 6-0 to concur with items 10.C.
- New P.E. Applications. (Exec Dir)
- Robert A. LaRoche On Motion by Mr. Ames and second by Dr. Grant, the Board voted 5-0, with Mr. Sweeney recused from the discussion and the vote, that the applicant did not meet the requirements for licensure outlined in statute and should be denied licensure by comity. The Executive Director will send a notice of preliminary denial to the applicant.
- Tabled and previously considered: None
- Reexamination Requests: None
- Other applications or requests: None
11. Unfinished Business:
12. New Business:
- Supplemental Contract for Executive Director On Motion by Mr. Sweeney and second by Mr. Greim, the Board voted 6-0 to approve the supplemental contract for the Executive Director through December 31, 2013.
- Database upgrade two-day training in Boston On Motion by Mr. Greim and second by Dr. Grant, the Board voted to approve the expenditure of $795 and travel expenses for a two-day R:Base training in Boston, if needed.
- Development of online PDH courses The Executive Director requested that the Continuing Education Committee be available to review proposed content and questions for the online PDH courses. Mr. Bartlett and Dr. Grant agreed to provide that assistance.
- Report of Executive Director Executive Director reported to the Board on assigned tasks, technology upgrades, website revisions and planned PDH courses.
13. Oral Exams:
- Next scheduled meetings are: August 15, 2013 and November 21, 2013
- Meeting adjourned at 11:09AM
David W. Jackson Jr. Executive Director