Board Meeting Minutes: January 17, 2013
Present: Board members present were: Donald A. Grant, P.E., Chair; Mandy Holway Olver, P.E., Vice Chair; George W. Ames, P.E; Kenneth L. Sweeney, P.E.; Clifton W. Greim, P.E.; and Lawrence E. Bartlett, P.E. Also present were: Judith Peters, Assistant Attorney General, and David Jackson, Executive Director.
Call to Order: The meeting was called to order at 9:14 a.m. by Chair Dr. Donald Grant in the First Floor Conference Room at 295 Water Street in Augusta.
1. Minutes of previous meeting and other preliminaries:
- Approval of the minutes of the board meeting held on November 15, 2012.
- On a motion by Ms. Olver and a second by Mr. Ames, the minutes were approved without revision 5-0, with Mr. Sweeney abstaining as he had not been present at the prior meeting.
- Election of officers.
- Chair –Mandy Olver was nominated as Chair by Mr. Ames, seconded by Mr. Sweeney. Vote was 6-0 in favor.
- Vice Chair – Clifton Greim was nominated by Ms. Olver, seconded by Mr. Ames and Mr. Sweeney. Vote was 6-0 in favor. (Dr. Grant turned the meeting over to the new Chair, Mandy Olver.)
- Appointment of Committees (Chair is a member of all Committees)
- Executive Committee -- Ms. Olver, Mr. Greim and Mr. Sweeney
- Finance Committee -- Mr.Greim and Mr.Ames
- Rules Committee -- Mr. Sweeney and Mr. Ames
- Examination Committee-- Dr. Grant and all Board Members
- Information Committee -- Ms. Olver
- Complaint Officer -- Mr. Ames
- Special Committees: Continuing Education/ Renewal -- Mr. Bartlett, Ms. Olver and Dr. Grant
2. Executive Committee: (Chair)
- 2013 NCEES Board President’s Assembly, Feb 8-9, Atlanta, Georgia Board agreed to send Ms. Olver and Mr. Jackson to Atlanta.
- 2013 NCEES Zone Meeting, May 2-4, Cape May, New Jersey Board agreed to send Mr. Bartlett, Mr. Greim and Mr. Jackson to New Jersey.
- 2013 NCEES Annual Meeting, August 21-24, San Antonio, Texas Board discussed sending Mr. Bartlett and Mr. Jackson, tabled for later decision.
- Engineers Week 2013 Reminder that Board will have a table set up at the Engineering Expo at UMaine Gorham on Saturday, March 2. Executive Director will staff the table.
3. Finance Committee: (Ames)
- Book balance on January 7, 2013 was $417,035.00. This compares to balance of $389,331 on January 3, 2011.
- The number of active licensees on January 7, 2013 was 5979. This compares to 5740 on January 3, 2011.
4. Rules Committee: (Sweeney)
- Report of the Committee on statute revisions. The Board discussed the possibility of submitting amendments to the statutes provided to the State. The “sunset provision” of the proposed statute revisions was discussed briefly. The Executive Director was asked to continue to monitor progress of the proposed statutes and to keep the Board Members updated.
5. Examinations Committee: (Grant) On a motion by Dr. Grant, seconded by Mr. Ames, the Board voted unanimously, (6-0), to concur with the following items A through C:
- Concurrence with the results of the Principles and Practices of Engineering (PE) examination held on October 26, 2012.
- Concurrence with results of the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) held on October 27, 2012.
- Concurrence with the results of the Structural examination held on October 26 and 27, 2012.
6. Information Committee: (Olver)
- Spring Newsletter: The Board proposed the following articles for the Spring Newsletter:
- Results of complaints by the Complaint Officer Mr. Ames;
- Notes from the NCEES President’s Assembly by Ms. Olver;
- Discussion of the changeover to computer-based testing by Dr. Grant;
- A review of Professional Development requirements;
- Notes from Engineers Week at UMaine Gorham; and,
- An introduction of the new Chair.
7. Complaint Committee: (Ames)
- Licensee: None
- U12-001 – After the presentation by the Complaint Officer Mr. Ames and some discussion, Mr. Bartlett moved to dismiss, with a second by Dr. Grant. The board voted 5-0 to dismiss, with Mr. Ames, recused. The Executive Director was instructed to draft a letter of dismissal with AAG Peters.
- Complaints by other jurisdictions against Maine PEs: None:
8. Special Committees: (Bartlett)
- Continuing Education Committee
- Guideline policy for the submission of stamped construction drawings to CEOs. Mr. Ames submitted a draft of the CEO document for review and comment by board members and will meet with other members of his ad hoc committee on January 29 at 10:00 a.m.
9. Reading of communications:
- Email regarding use of “engineering” in the firm name. After several minutes of discussion, Mr. Ames was asked to draft a letter to the owner, outlining the issues as discussed, and explaining “engineering” within the context of the statutes.
- Inquiry about Maine regulation of stamping SPCC plans Mr. Jackson will draft a letter for review by Ms. Olver explaining that there is no specific exemption for SPCC plans outlined in Maine law and that all engineering performed in Maine requires a licensed professional engineer.
10. Reading and considering applications:
- Review and concurrence of Chair/Executive Director actions: On a motion by Mr. Sweeney, seconded by Mr. Ames, the Board voted 6-0 to concur with the following items 1 through 6:
- Temporary certificates issued.
- Licenses authorized for NCEES Certified Applicants.
- Comity licenses authorized by the Executive Director and Chair.
- Licenses by written examinations.
- Licenses by oral examinations.
- Re-examinations authorized by the Executive Director.
- New Engineer Intern (E.I.) Applications. On a motion by Mr. Ames and seconded by Mr. Sweeney, the Board voted 6-0 to approve applications of Engineer Interns to take the Fundamentals of Engineering examination listed on the attached list under Item #10.B.
- Recently certified Engineer Interns. On a motion by Mr. Ames and seconded by Mr. Sweeney, the Board voted 6-0 to approve the recently certified Engineer Interns listed on the attached list under Item #10.C.
- New P.E. Applications. (Exec Dir) On a motion by Dr. Grant, seconded by Mr. Greim, the Board voted 6-0 to accept the Executive Director’s recommendations of all the listed applicants.
- Tabled and previously considered.
- Brian Stacey: In November, discussion was Tabled with a 5-0 vote for the January meeting, with instruction to the Executive Director to search Board records to determine the actions of the Board in similar situations. After Mr. Jackson’s report, on motion by Mr. Sweeney and second by Mr. Ames, the Board voted 6-0 to allow Brian Stacey to sit for re-examination.
- Reexamination Requests: None
- Other applications or requests: None
Dr. Grant left the board meeting at 11:10 a.m.
11. Unfinished Business:
- Draft of Letter to PUC: The Executive Director was asked in November to draft a letter to the PUC, for review by the Board, outlining the Board’s safety concerns regarding the Small Generator Interconnection Agreement. The Executive Director sent a draft letter to the Board prior to this meeting, along with supplemental documentation. Mr. Ames revised the draft. After considerable discussion, on motion by Mr. Bartlett and second by Mr. Greim, the Board voted 5-0 to send the letter to the PUC. The Executive Director was instructed to send the letter to the appropriate party at Maine PUC after the revisions were completed.
12. New Business:
- Report on Board Office
- The Executive Director reported on status of evaluation of the office and procedures.
- Discussed the need for changes to technology and requested $2500 for upgrades. On motion by Mr. Greim and second by Mr. Sweeney, the Board voted 5-0 to approve the expenditure of $2500 for technology upgrades for the office, including the creation of a LAN and offsite electronic data storage.
- Proposed creation of online PDH related to Rules, Statutes, Ethics.
- Clarified status of Exec Dir as temporary based on contract approved by state.
- The Board expressed concern with shortness of contract and suggested focus on study of skill sets for office roles.
- Executive Director to set up a board meeting for February 13, 2013 at 1:00 p.m. to discuss office staffing.
13. Oral Exams:
- Next regular meetings are March 21, 2013 and June 20, 2013.
- On a motion by Mr. Greim, seconded by Mr. Ames, the Board voted 5-0 to adjourn. Meeting adjourned at 12:19 p.m.
David W. Jackson Jr. Executive Director