1. Home
  2. » How Do I...?
  3. » Employment


How Do I...? - Employment

How do I find a job in Maine?

For state government job listings, see the State Jobs website. For other Maine job listings and job hunting resources, see the Maine.gov Job Seekers page. Your local CareerCenter has many resources to assist you, including job listings, job fairs, and workshops. To find your nearest CareerCenter, visit http://www.mainecareercenter.com/

How do I obtain or renew my professional license in Maine?

Many professional licenses are regulated by the state. For information specific to your profession, see the Maine.gov Resources by Profession page. Many licenses can now be renewed online:

How do I ask about a labor law?

Use the online form to submit a labor law question to the Maine Department of Labor, or contact the Bureau of Labor Standards at (207) 623-7900.

How do I find employment opportunities for seniors?

Visit the resource page provided by Maine's Department of Health and Human Services, at http://www.maine.gov/dhhs/beas/resource/employ.htm

How do I file for unemployment benefits?

You can apply as soon as you become unemployed. Your application cannot be made retroactive prior to the week in which it is filed. You can watch short videos explaining how to file for unemployment for more information.

You can apply for unemployment online, by telephone, or by mail. Your best option for filing an unemployment claim is to file online by going to www.file4ui.com and completing required steps. This application is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Weekly claims can be filed on or after 12:30 a.m. Sunday for the week just completed. The automated phone application is available in English, French and Spanish.

To speak to a customer service representative, call 1-800-593-7660 between 8 a.m. and 4:45 p.m. Monday through Friday. Please keep in mind that Mondays are high call volume days with 20–30 minute wait times. Wait times drop significantly later in the week.

When you apply you will need the following information: - Your Social Security Number or Alien Registration Number; - The business name, address and telephone number of each place you worked at during the past 18 months; and - The jobs you held and the dates you worked (for each employer).

Veterans who separated from the armed forces in the past 18 months will need to provide information from a DD-214. Federal civilian employees will need to provide information from a SF-8 or SF-50.