Real Estate Brokerage Agency
Real estate brokerage agency means any person or entity licensed by
the Department of Professional and Financial Regulation to engage in
real estate brokerage services through its designated broker, associates
How to apply
- Application/License fee: $100
- Completed license application
Every agency license applicant must:
- Appoint a Maine licensed broker to serve as designated broker.
- Have a fixed and definite place of business.
- Establish and maintain a federally insured trust account in a financial institution authorized to do business in
- Obtain a Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN) prior
to application for a license.
- File a list of officers of the particular business entity
that includes the office held and home address of each officer.
(Not applicable to Individual Proprietor applicants.)
- Corporation, Limited Liability Company and Limited Partnership
applicants must register with the Maine Secretary of State,
Bureau of Corporations prior to application for a real estate
agency license. Contact the Bureau at (207) 624-7736 for an
application and filing instructions.
- Agencies licensed as a Corporation, Limited Liability Company
or Limited Partnership in another state must file with the Maine
Secretary of State, Bureau of Corporations as a foreign business
Get the free
Adobe Acrobat Reader to access PDF files.
Renewal fees and information
- Biennial renewal fee is $100.00.
- A $50.00 late fee is assessed for licenses renewed within 90 calendar days after the
- A license must be renewed online or by paper application on or (up to 60 days) before the expiration date in order for the licensee to conduct business without interruption.
- A license may be renewed up to ninety (90) calendar days after the expiration date by complying with all requirements for renewal and payment of an additional $50 late fee. No business may be conducted between license expiration and renewal.
- A license cannot be renewed after 90 calendar days. The designated broker must submit application for a new agency.
- Renewal reminders are mailed to agency at least 30 days prior to the license expiration date. It is the designated broker’s responsibility to keep the Commission informed of current contact information and to see that the license is renewed absent the renewal application. Reminder includes agency access code which, along with agency license number, is required for online renewal.
out the online renewal application
The Department must verify that agency has met all the conditions for renewal before the license is renewed. Online submission of renewal application should not be construed as automatic renewal of the license.
Please Note: By submitting a renewal application in any form by any method, the licensee is certifying that all requirements for renewal have been met prior to submission of the application. Submission of the renewal application also constitutes certification of the licensee's understanding that the Commission will rely upon the information submitted for issuance of a license and that sanctions may be imposed, including suspension or revocation of the license, if the certification is found to be false.
November 14, 2013