Naturopathic acupuncture means the insertion of acupuncture needles into specific points on the skin to treat human disease and impairment and torelieve pain. The practice of naturopathic acupuncture is only within the scope of practice of naturopathic doctors certified pursuant to section 12525.
How to apply
- License fee $50.00
- Application fee $75.00
- Criminal background check fee $21.00
- Term: Annual renewal on October 31
Complete and submit the Application for Licensure with the following information:
- Appropriate fee made payable to the Maine State Treasurer or if paying by credit card complete the credit card authorization form.
- Verification of Licensure (if needed)
- Transcript from Approved Naturopathic Medical College
- Scores Received from NPLEX showing successful completion of exam
- Two signed, original reference letters from ND, DO or MD
- Proof of 1,000 Acupuncture Classroom Hours
- Proof of 300 Acupuncture Hours of Clinical Experience
- NCCAOM Certification
See Board Laws and Rules for full requirements
Get the free Adobe Acrobat Reader to access PDF files.
Renewal fees and information
- Annual renewal fee is $50.00
- This license renews annually on October 31.
- A late fee of $50.00 is assessed for licenses renewed after the license expiration date.
- A person who submits an application for renewal more than 90 days after license expiration date is subject to all requirements governing new applicants.
- Renewal remnders are electronically mailed approximately 60 days prior to the license expiration date. It is the licensee's responsibility to keep the Board informed of the current license address and/or to see that the license is renewed absent the renewal application.
- CONTINUING EDUCATION - An application for renewal shall complete 37 hours of continuing education annually and 15 hours of continuing education annually, specific to that specialty. The 37 hours shall consist of the following:
- At least 7 hours shall be in pharmacology;
- No more than 15 hours may be in naturopathic and/or medical journals or audio-or videotaped presentations, slides, programmed instruction or computer-assisted instruction and/or preceptorships;
- No more than 10 hours may be in any single topic
SEE CHAPTER 5, SECTIONS 1 - 3 FOR ADDITIONAL
INFORMATION ON CONTINUING Education.
- Fill out the online renewal application and submit.
The Department must verify that you have met all the conditions for renewal before your license is renewed. Online submission of your renewal application should not be construed as automatic renewal of your license.
May 2, 2014