Frequently Asked Questions - Fourth Class Stationary Steam Engineer Licensees

What does the scope of this license cover?

The holder of a a fourth-class engineer's license may have charge of a plant of not more than 50,000 #/HR or operate or supervse a plant up to the capacity of the license of the engineer in charge of the plant in which you are employed.

Do I need to pass a test?

Yes; 100 questions (multiple choice). You must get 70% correct in order to pass.

How do I apply to take the exam?

Click HERE to download an exam application. Submit the exam application with a $25 application fee. IMPORTANT: You must receive approval from the Program prior to scheduling your exam.

How do I schedule my exam?

After you receive approval to sit for the exam, you may register and schedule your exam by calling 1-800-343-6001 Monday through Friday, between 8 a.m. and 9 p.m. or 24 hours a day online at

How often is the test given?

The test is given six days a week.

How much does the test cost?


Once I pass the exam, how do I become licensed?

Program staff will provide you with a licensing application. Complete the application and return it to this office with appropriate fees.

Can I get licensed using my United States Coast Guard license?

Yes. Any applicant who holds a current Canadian marine or United States Coast Guard marine engineer's license and who has worked as a boiler engineer or operator 3 of the last 5 years prior to application qualifies for a license without taking an examination. Click HERE to download a license application.

Is my application confidential?

No. With the exception of Social Security Number, all application information is public. Contact information provided to the Program is posted on our website.

If you cannot find the answer to your question, click HERE to send an e-mail message to the Boiler and Pressure Vessel Safety Program.


Last Updated: August 21, 2014