Auctioneer means a person licensed by the Department of Professional and Financial Regulation to conduct, advertise or offer services to conduct auctions of real, personal or mixed property. Unless specifically exempted, a license is required to engage in the business of auctioneering [reference 32 MRSA Chapter 5-B §286].
How to apply
General Requirements for All Applicants
All applicants for an Auctioneer license must pass the Board's licensing examination covering the Board's laws and rules. Click here for a complete list of study materials. To apply for examination, applicants must submit the following at least two weeks before the examination date:
Upon successful completion of the Auctioneer Licensing Examination, the applicant must submit the following:
- Fully completed license application
- Total fee $271.00
- $50.00 application fee (non-refundable)
- $200.00 license fee
- $21.00 Criminal Records Check fee
- A surety bond in the amount of $10,000
Specific Requirements for Non-Resident Applicants
All general requirements as outlined above, and
- Original certificate of good standing from each jurisdiction in which applicant is licensed.
- Irrevocable Consent
Get the free Adobe Acrobat Reader 4.0 or higher to access PDF files.
Renewal fees and information
- Annual renewal fee is $200.00
- A late fee of $50.00 is assessed for licenses renewed after March 31.
- Renews annually on March 31st
- Licensees are required to furnish a copy of a surety bond in the amount of $10,000 that will remain in effect for the duration of the renewed license term.
- A person who submits an application for renewal more than 90 days after the license expiration date is subject to all requirements governing new applicants and is required to reapply with original license application, documentation and fees.
- Renewal applications are mailed approximately 30 days prior to the license expiration date. It is the licensee's responsibility to keep the board informed of the current license address. It is the licensee's responsibility to renew the license.
- Print paper renewal application and submit with a copy of a surety bond in the amount of $10,000 or continuation certificate.
The Department must verify that you have met all the conditions for renewal before your license is renewed.
August 6, 2012